Scaredy Cat

mb20and151

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 yr old cat who I've had since she was 6 weeks old. She's never been hurt or treated poorly yet she's scared of everything! I rolled over in bed the other day and her tail puffed out and she ran away. Is there any way to help her? I don't want her to be scared all the time. I want her to be a happy, well adjusted cat.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pfeww! Be a bit patient, it is a holiday and a lot of people are with their families!
Anyways I have seen a lot of people who try bach's rescue remedies with their cats to help behavior. I'm thinking about trying a natural remedy on my skittish kitty. my only other thought is she may be shy b/c she was taken from her mom rather young.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she friendly with you? Or is she kind of afraid of you, too? Does she let you pet her? Is she your only cat? Who did you get her from?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mb20and151

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't know what "bach remedies" are...

She's weird with me. Sometimes she rubs against me and wants to be petted, other times she decides she wants to play and just attacks me (biting etc). Then other times I move and she gets scared. She is my only cat and I got her from the Humane Society, as I said, when she was 6 weeks old.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mb20and151

She's weird with me. Sometimes she rubs against me and wants to be petted, other times she decides she wants to play and just attacks me (biting etc). Then other times I move and she gets scared. She is my only cat and I got her from the Humane Society, as I said, when she was 6 weeks old.
sounds EXACTLY like my Cedar.

I have tried everything with him but I have now just accepted that this is the way he is. He IS happy just so timid and at times completely scared. I am thankful though that he is in a loving home where he will always be loved and looked after no matter what.

Do you think she is unhappy?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I've got the link to the Bach site, lots of people on this site use rescue remedy. I use on my cats sometimes ( we have builders in at the moment and they hate the upheaval) You can put it in their water or rub a drop on their ears. I find it helps.
Good luck
Anne

http://www.bachflower.com/index.html

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I also have a cat that is content and relaxed sometimes, but is very scared at other times. Soem people have luck with Feliway. Is there a lot of activity at your house? If there is, try to provide your kitty with a quiet hiding place so she she can escape. When she feels comfortable, she will come out on her own.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy is an herbal supliment that is compleetly harmless to pets and people. I use it with my two cats when they might be in stressful situations, it mellows them out a bit. I add it to their water, which is easier than forceing them to take the drops. My cat Sibohan is terrified of strangers but loosens up some when she has her rescue remedy.
Heck at this time of year I take some to battle Holiday stress.
Good luck, and it's realy not harmful at first I felt terrible about "druging" my cats but don't worry, it's a life saver

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Feliway spray to help a nervous kitty. It is kind of expensive, but available at Petsmart. And it does work!

Honestly, the thing that will help most is you joining TCS (The Cat Site). I have had cats since I was about 3 years old. And I have learned so much about cat behavior since joining here.

Did you know that looking straight into a cat's eyes makes you threatening to them? I didn't until joining TCS. As you browse through other people's posts, you will learn how to communicate better with your cat.

My Festus was born at my house, and handled at a young age. But Garfield, who I got at 8-10 weeks is the nicer, friendlier cat! Sometimes it is just what is inborn into the cat!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got some excellent advice above...I have a scaredy cat too. He is a love at times and will come up to you if you are sitting and headbutt you fiercely and lovingly..He likes to come up to me from behind also as I am less threatening I think that way.
He is also more comfortable coming to me or my family when we are laying down (also less threatening)
However, if we are simply walking through the kitchen, for example, and he is in the middle of it, he jets out of the way and scoots under my bed...He was a stray though so this could be a problem. We have just learned to live with it.
I wouldn't attempt to make really sudden movements or go to catch him.
Just let him come to you.
I completely ignore Rocky when he is like this.. I don't soothe him so as to make him feel good about being afraid.

He's just my lil babycat, I figure...

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a scaredy cat as well...I adopted her when she was 8 years old; her previous owners had hated her & abused her, poor baby. We have tried several things to help bring her out of her shell. The 2 that have helped most were Bach Flower remedies (as others have mentioned) & TTouch. TTouch is a method of companion animal care/training that, for lack of a better description, is sort of like massage. I learned it from a book writting by the creator of TTouch, Linda Tellington-Jones. Her website is extremelly helpful at explaining excatly what TTouch is and also at getting you started on your way. Check out http://tteam-ttouch.com/catttouch.shtml.

I work at an animal shelter & have had great success using TTouch on frightened & feral kitties. Seeing the response is just amazing.

Amanda