Scaredy cat

Minix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats who were feral until they were about 5 months old. They’re now 2 and have turned into very sweet cats but they are still jumpy. The little boy is particularly easily scared. Yesterday, I had a new light installed in the kitchen and a ceiling fan/light put in the dining room. The little girl is fine with it, but he is terrified by them. I’m not even switching the fan on - it‘s just he looked at it and ran. He’s been hiding under the bed since yesterday morning. I put some food under the bed and he did eat. Do I pander to him and put food, water and a litter box next to the bed? I’m a little worried that he hasn’t used a litter box in 24 hours.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats dont need to be former ferals to be scared of contractors and have some lingering effect. 24 hours is on the long side, but wouldn't surprise me if he came out at 3 am when the house was maximally quiet. I wouldn't worry unless it continues to linger throughout today. Well, I wouldn't worry per se even then, but I might really focus on coaxing him out. That said, you don't need to wait to coax him out -- you can try coaxing out with treats or a toy at any time, which may cut it short by a bit. Obviously dont get grabby -- has to be his choice, but you can lure him out.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A agree with ArtNJ. I would also say try and make the room he's in and the house in general quiet and non stressful when it comes to noises. Wait until tomorrow to vacuum or do anything that causes a lot of noise.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a scardy cat, former semi feral who still panics at new things or people coming in, and coaxing her out of hiding does not work at all for her. In fact it just makes her all the more frightened and determined to stay in hiding. The only thing that does work is to totally ignore her and go back to my usual routine. There are some things that do work like turning the TV or moving around in the kitchen on because it is part of our no visitors nightly routine.

I would definitely make sure there is a litterbox somewhere near by though, for your sake as much as his.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last night, fireworks! My cat Coco hid under the bed til morning. She skipped dinner. Back to normal today.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let him get used to the new additions in his own time. Although being former ferals doesn't help, some cat's just are naturally scared, it is their personality. Mine disappear for three days when we get company that stays, i provide them with water, food, and a litter box near by to decrease their levels of stress. It just takes time, maybe weeks, before they adjust to something new. In time your little one will too, until something new is added!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. He finally came out from under the bed last night (36 hours later). He still hasn’t left the bedroom. I’m less worried as he is eating, drinking and using the litter box. I’ve tried getting him playing with his favourite toys and he enjoyed it but he definitely can’t be lured beyond the bedroom door.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve tried getting him playing with his favourite toys and he enjoyed it but he definitely can’t be lured beyond the bedroom door.
He will eventually, he's come this far already, good for him and you :)!