Scared To Leave My Newly Spayed Cat Alone

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lying on the back of the chair won't pull her stitches out. yes, she's fine with the current sweater and the cone. The stairs are She jumps from the books to the footstool, from the footstool to the chair and from the chair to the table. She does that instead of the stretching jump from the floor to the table, or the floor to the chair. "Stairs, steps" short jumps not long ones.

Truth: the vet should have told you, but probably didn't think to, but it takes a great deal of force to pull the stitches out. Vets don't pull the stitches out when they remove them, they cut the stitches then slip it out. I know you said she has dissolving stitches so you won't get to see him do that.

Here is another truth.
The time she is most likely to try to take the stitches out is when she's almost healed and they itch. At that point she will be sufficiently healed that the incision will stay closed and she will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lying on the back of the chair won't pull her stitches out. yes, she's fine with the current sweater and the cone. The stairs are She jumps from the books to the footstool, from the footstool to the chair and from the chair to the table. She does that instead of the stretching jump from the floor to the table, or the floor to the chair. "Stairs, steps" short jumps not long ones.

Truth: the vet should have told you, but probably didn't think to, but it takes a great deal of force to pull the stitches out. Vets don't pull the stitches out when they remove them, they cut the stitches then slip it out. I know you said she has dissolving stitches so you won't get to see him do that.

Here is another truth.
The time she is most likely to try to take the stitches out is when she's almost healed and they itch. At that point she will be sufficiently healed that the incision will stay closed and she will be fine.
Thank you for this reply! This definitely eased my mind. She doesn't seem that interested in the stitches themselves but she loves to lick her belly and sometimes she gets too close... I pray the cone doesn't come off. I'll have to call my brother to double check tomorrow.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this reply! This definitely eased my mind. She doesn't seem that interested in the stitches themselves but she loves to lick her belly and sometimes she gets too close... I pray the cone doesn't come off. I'll have to call my brother to double check tomorrow.
I had to leave my girl in a room by herself for 8-10 hours at a time after her spay. She got out and played with her brother a couple times (bad latch on the door), she got the cone off a few times, and she definitely jumped on things, despite my efforts to eliminate jumping spots.

I was incredibly anxious about leaving her, like you. But she was totally fine. Your baby will be too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to leave my girl in a room by herself for 8-10 hours at a time after her spay. She got out and played with her brother a couple times (bad latch on the door), she got the cone off a few times, and she definitely jumped on things, despite my efforts to eliminate jumping spots.

I was incredibly anxious about leaving her, like you. But she was totally fine. Your baby will be too.
Thank you for this! I forced my brother to wake up early and sleep in my room so she's not so lonely and perhaps a bit more distracted and it seems she hasn't managed to lick her stitches at all, so I was extremely relieved when I got home. I didn't put on the cone cause that thing is just horrible, and I've ordered an inflatable collar online instead. Hopefully she won't hate that as much.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this! I forced my brother to wake up early and sleep in my room so she's not so lonely and perhaps a bit more distracted and it seems she hasn't managed to lick her stitches at all, so I was extremely relieved when I got home. I didn't put on the cone cause that thing is just horrible, and I've ordered an inflatable collar online instead. Hopefully she won't hate that as much.
This is the one I bought. It's soft around the neck and clear around her face so that she could see. And it's shorter than those vet cones. The clinic that spayed her told me not to even use theirs and buy a better one!