Scared To Leave My Newly Spayed Cat Alone

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I've been so scared about the whole spaying but it went well and she's recovered really fast. She seems slightly different from before, like she is more cuddly and affectionate, but also seems scared of the dogs when they bark downstairs, which I did not think she would ever be. But my one actual probem is that I have to go to class tomorrow and I won't be able to see what she's doing. I'm only gone for 2 hours and my brother promised to check her quickly so she has the cone on still but 2 hours is still long enough for her to do things she shouldn't be doing... She's not wearing the cone right now, in fact she hates it and keeps walking into the walls when she's wearing it. She also can't sleep properly cause it keeps her from laying down comfortably. So I made her a little shirt out of my sweater sleeve, except it doesn't cover her back legs, so if she really tries she CAN get to her incision. She loves to lick herself, and I always carefully watch her when she does and she's been close to the incision twice. So because I need to be on the safe side I will put the cone on her before I leave tomorrow. But, I'm really scared she'll somehow get it off without my brother noticing and eventually lick her incision. And I'm also feeling super anxious to leave her alone and miserable with that dreadful cone on her head that she struggles to even walk in. How should I go about this? I'm actually planning on calling in sick on thursday but I have to attend class tomorrow, even though I just wanna stay home and keep a close eye on her. Has someone gone through something similar about having to leave a newly spayed cat alone for a while? I'm kind of freaking out.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Raja and Mizu were spayed, we took turns for the first 24-48 hours keeping an eye on them but neither of them had a cone. Both of them seemed to know better than to try jumping so it wasn't an issue. Mizu fussed and licked her stitches a few times and I took a wet paper towel and patted the area once or twice but it was rare. I think you'll be fine. Can she be confined to a room where there aren't any items to jump on for the short period of time?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First something useful. You've got a good start with the sweater you made for her. Take the other sleeve and make it longer. Cut holes for her back legs in it as well as those for her front legs. That way it will cover her tummy. She'll probably want it to keep the chill off anyway. Yes, she will be able to use the box with the sweater on. You can check it when you get home. If she missed a bit, wash it and use your hair dryer to dry the sweater.

Are you keeping her in one room? A nice safe small place should help with the dogs. It's entirely possible she's not afraid of the dogs, especially since she wasn't before, but that their barking startles her. Sometimes it takes awhile to get over the anesthesia. It's not in her body any longer, but there is a relaxed sensation which makes it easier to be startled than before. I've found, even when used to it, that the dogs barking without warning can make me jump. And, of course, they don't warn you that they're going to bark, that's why they bark.

It's only recently that vets started giving cats cones when they had surgery. All of my cats, and dogs, who were spayed and neutered were returned to me without cones. None of them went for their stitches.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your brother is a good person. Tell him strangers are impressed that he cares enough for you and the kit to check on her for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Raja and Mizu were spayed, we took turns for the first 24-48 hours keeping an eye on them but neither of them had a cone. Both of them seemed to know better than to try jumping so it wasn't an issue. Mizu fussed and licked her stitches a few times and I took a wet paper towel and patted the area once or twice but it was rare. I think you'll be fine. Can she be confined to a room where there aren't any items to jump on for the short period of time?
No, there are thing to jump on all over the apartment, and she's been jumping on things ever since she got home. She's in my room where are probably the least amount of furniture to jump on but still enough. A table and a bed. The stitches look fine to me, I think especially since it's the kind that will "disappear" with time and don't need to be removed, so they're barely even visible. But leaving for 2 hours makes me extremely anxious and I'm the only one who can actually watch her.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, not ever since she got home but ever since she woke up, which was about 3 hours after we got home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long ago was the actual spay? Since your brother said he would check on her while you are gone, and you are only going to be gone for two hours, it should be OK.

I don't know what pet stores you have in Sweden, but some of them may carry the inflatable collars which are much nicer and not nearly as intrusive as the actual cones. Here in the US, they carry them at PetSmart.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's possible to do so, why not remove the table? Two hours is a brief time period. Would she find it comforting to be in her carrier with the shirt? My girls will willingly take naps in their carrier when it's out. She may nap the entire time you're gone. I'm sure she will be fine.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First something useful. You've got a good start with the sweater you made for her. Take the other sleeve and make it longer. Cut holes for her back legs in it as well as those for her front legs. That way it will cover her tummy. She'll probably want it to keep the chill off anyway. Yes, she will be able to use the box with the sweater on. You can check it when you get home. If she missed a bit, wash it and use your hair dryer to dry the sweater.

Are you keeping her in one room? A nice safe small place should help with the dogs. It's entirely possible she's not afraid of the dogs, especially since she wasn't before, but that their barking startles her. Sometimes it takes awhile to get over the anesthesia. It's not in her body any longer, but there is a relaxed sensation which makes it easier to be startled than before. I've found, even when used to it, that the dogs barking without warning can make me jump. And, of course, they don't warn you that they're going to bark, that's why they bark.

It's only recently that vets started giving cats cones when they had surgery. All of my cats, and dogs, who were spayed and neutered were returned to me without cones. None of them went for their stitches.
I did that with the other sleeve but it was such a fuss to get all of her paws in it, she even tried to bite me, so I just let her have the first one on. I'm kinda scared to take off the one she has on again in case I won't get it on since she got kind of irritated last time. She's in my room, which is the room she's the most comfortable in but it's not exactly small. It is the room with the least amount of furtniture however, and I can't do better than that as we have furniture in pretty much every corner of the apartment. This is really stressing me out... I wish the vet could at least have those animal neck braces cause it seems like it's the covering the head part that she hates.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How long ago was the actual spay? Since your brother said he would check on her while you are gone, and you are only going to be gone for two hours, it should be OK.

I don't know what pet stores you have in Sweden, but some of them may carry the inflatable collars which are much nicer and not nearly as intrusive as the actual cones. Here in the US, they carry them at PetSmart.
It was a little over 24 hours ago, so not very long. I have seen those online, but she is a very tiny cat, so I wasn't sure if it would even fit her. But I might order one of those then, cause this cone is a joke...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look for the inflatable collars Pet stores, Amazon.

She doesn't like the sweater you made because most cats don't care for clothes, not because she wants to go for her stitches. I think the sweaters rub their fur the wrong way. You know like when you put on a knit hat wrong and it pushes your hair into the wrong places?

We left ours, without cones long enough to go to school and later when we went to work.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's possible to do so, why not remove the table? Two hours is a brief time period. Would she find it comforting to be in her carrier with the shirt? My girls will willingly take naps in their carrier when it's out. She may nap the entire time you're gone. I'm sure she will be fine.
I thought about that but the table is huge and I truthfully don't have anywhere else to put it. She also loves sleeping on the table in my room and I would feel so mean if I removed her favorite sleeping place. I tried putting her in there at first but she absolutely hates it and tries to scratch herself out..

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look for the inflatable collars Pet stores, Amazon.

She doesn't like the sweater you made because most cats don't care for clothes, not because she wants to go for her stitches. I think the sweaters rub their fur the wrong way. You know like when you put on a knit hat wrong and it pushes your hair into the wrong places?

We left ours, without cones long enough to go to school and later when we went to work.
I'll have to buy one of those inflatable collars! But leaving her tomorrow is still the issue.. I'll try to make her another "shirt" right now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case, make 'stairs' to the table for her. Here's how, put a chair by the table, put a footstool by the chair, and put two large books stacked together beside the footstool. That way she can still get to the table, but the jumps will be very small and not stretch her stomach.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shirt is a good thing, but if she fights too much let it be. Don't chase her to put it on her. If she's too excited she'll fight more.

The odds are that she will be fine. Remember your brother is going to check on her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am just trying to dream up a scheme for your 2 hours out. What if you take a scarf (it would have to be small) and twist it into a roll, and then affix that around her neck? You could 'tuck it' (clothes pins, office clamps, etc. ?) in at the base of the neck? It might just take her two hours to get it off - lol! At least that way, she would be way more focused on getting that off than bothering her stitches. Sorry, I am just wondering about any sort of possibilities since you don't have much time before your class.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She hates the cone, but it keeps her from running around. You said she tends to run into walls with it on. Right now it's keeping her quieter, which is a good thing.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner are you sure that scarf thing is safe? I'm getting Isadora Duncan flashes here.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In that case, make 'stairs' to the table for her. Here's how, put a chair by the table, put a footstool by the chair, and put two large books stacked together beside the footstool. That way she can still get to the table, but the jumps will be very small and not stretch her stomach.
I just put my chair back by the table and a footstool next to the chair. But now she's laying on top of the backrest of the chair, all stretched out, would that be dangerous? Could the stitches be pulled apart? Should I remove the chair and just have the footstool there perhaps?

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shirt is a good thing, but if she fights too much let it be. Don't chase her to put it on her. If she's too excited she'll fight more.

The odds are that she will be fine. Remember your brother is going to check on her.
I just tried to force her into another shirt but she hates it so I'm just gonna let her wear the one she has on and put the cone on her tomorrow, hopefully she won't get it off...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We just did a kind-of thread hijack. Sorry, A angiekisa . Ignore us.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner are you sure that scarf thing is safe? I'm getting Isadora Duncan flashes here.
Unless the cat is "hurled in an extraordinary manner from an open automobile in which she was riding and instantly killed by the force of her fall to the stone pavement" as a result of the scarf catching in a tire, I doubt it.

But, I get your point.