scared to go on a cruise

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have left on vacation before. The longest time we were gone was 4 days. during this time it only took 2 days before my baby stop eating. we got him from the shelter two years ago. The first time we went somewhere and we took him to a boarding place. They were an amazing. they really cared about their animals I did a lot of research. Unfortunately the reason why gizmo McGoofy was given to the shelter was because he cannot get along with other cats. He can smell them he just can't see them. When he does he goes beserk. they had to cover the front of his door. Thank goodness there was a window that looked outside. he seemed to be pretty upset but very happy to see me when we came back.

after that we decided to have people come to the house to feed him so there was less stress. And he would not be forced to stay in a cage with other cats around.after 2 days I was told he stopped eating. I had a stroke and I am home most the time except doctors appointments. Sleep with me at night.

enough background. I'm concerned because we will be going on a seven day cruise. We have arranged for people to come Feed him in the morning and night. but I'm scared the separation anxiety will be too much for him. he gets mean to the people that come feed him after a few days of us not coming back. So I don't know what to do. he won't let other people keep him company unless he knows I'm coming back.do you think it might subside after a few more days?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest investing in a few Feliway diffusers. You'll need at least 1 for each room that Gizmo typically spends time in (2 if it is a larger room such as a den or bonus room.)

You'll need to plug the diffusers in at least a few days to a week before you leave.

Also, when you do leave, leave a few worn, unwashed shirts around (on the couch, chair, bed, etc...) so that your scent stays around. This should help with the severity of Gozmo's stress/anxiety levels.

You can also leave a tv/radio on for some added background noise so that the house isn't so quiet. Classical music seems to be enjoyed and soothing for many cats.

What type of food does Gizmo eat? Perhaps you could leave a few cans of smelly, yummy canned food and some special treats for the caregivers to leave out for Gizmo.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can vouch for the effectiveness of all of CatPack's suggestions. The Feliway doesn't work for every cat, but it seems to work for ours. I have a diffuser and the spray. I usually spray the top of our bed and a chair before I leave, which seems to make him more likely to sit on them (as opposed to hiding). This way the caregiver knows where to look for him. His favorite toys also seem to help when we are gone.

We had to take our cat to a hotel a while ago. He was NOT happy about it and hid under the bed for two days despite the Feliway diffuser. I sprayed the bedspread and left a worn sweater on it. That got him out from under the bed. He spent the rest of the time sitting on top of the sweater and never hid again.

Can you ask the caregivers to come over a couple of times before you leave? Maybe they can play with him a bit and give him some treats so he becomes friendly with them. It sounds like he is much more relaxed with you around, so whatever you do to make them friendly might work better if you are there.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The solution is having someone come and LIVE at your place, not just drop in twice a day, feed him, and then leave. You need someone to live/sleep at your place, that's what I do when I have to leave town.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
first question what is a -Feliway- I guess I can look that up. the people we are having come over at least one of them has been over here a lot. we often have her over for dinner she's fed him before while we were gone I'm short vacations. I will definitely have the new ones come over and get to know him. I would love to have someone stay but most of my friends have animals themselves. And since he does not get along with any animals. He becomes violent. they can't bring over their pets. kind of a bummer I would love to have another cat. I've always thought about him needing a pet himself. Lol but unfortunately we can't take that risk. he was given away because of that thing. I think it was more than that I think it was part of a hoarding situation. because he had infections when he was brought into the Shelter. you have never had any problems since. just a cold one some kind of virus. he's my baby. It breaks my heart good thank you going to be lonely or sad. I'm sure people can relate to that. I love all the suggestions so far. Thanks for taking the time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness there are so many feliway products I'm overwhelmed. Can anybody give me an insight on what works better. What they recommend the spray the diffusers the Electric diffusers...any ideas would be appreciated. Or just education. I've never heard of such a thing. looking it up did not help much lol. I really do appreciate everyone taking their time helping me.

Last edited:

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use both the diffusers and the spray. My main problem is that my cat tends to hide when he is nervous. When I anticipate a stressful situation, I plug in the diffuser and spray a couple of chairs and the bedspread, and it seems to make him more likely to sit on them rather than hiding.