Scared of my new cat's violent behavior...

chemcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a new cat. I brought him home, introduced him to my apartment, and he was completely fine for the first 2 days. However, today (the third day), my neighbor's cat got out of the apartment and went into the hallway. My new cat reacted incredibly violently, screaming, hissing, spitting, and puffing his tail. This wouldn't really matter that much since I don't have other cats, except because of how he was moving, I thought he was going to attack me for a moment. He meows angrily and puffs his tail every time I go near the door and I'm kind of afraid he is going to attack me- or worse, try to escape and attack the neighbor's cat. Do you guys have any advice? I emailed the previous foster owner to see if she had any tips/input, and the shelter's website says they have training to help new animals settle in- I may try this if the issue persists. Help :( I want him to feel comfortable in his new home and not react so violently towards other cats

dc1346

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just adopted a new cat. I brought him home, introduced him to my apartment, and he was completely fine for the first 2 days. However, today (the third day), my neighbor's cat got out of the apartment and went into the hallway. My new cat reacted incredibly violently, screaming, hissing, spitting, and puffing his tail. This wouldn't really matter that much since I don't have other cats, except because of how he was moving, I thought he was going to attack me for a moment. He meows angrily and puffs his tail every time I go near the door and I'm kind of afraid he is going to attack me- or worse, try to escape and attack the neighbor's cat. Do you guys have any advice? I emailed the previous foster owner to see if she had any tips/input, and the shelter's website says they have training to help new animals settle in- I may try this if the issue persists. Help :( I want him to feel comfortable in his new home and not react so violently towards other cats
Has your new cat been fixed? Even if he has, cats are very territorial and since he's new to your home, he may be feeling threatened by your neighbor's cat. 

My cats are very protective of our home. A few nights ago a neighbor's cat came into our backyard and made the mistake of putting his head through the pet door and my cats went ballistic. They all charged at the stranger, hissing. The other cat ran away and was pursued by all three cats. I heard some violent yowling in the backyard and then my cats came sauntering back ... visibly strutting because they had protected their territory and run the stranger off. 

Cats are usually not warm and fuzzy towards strange cats. 

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The poor thing was spooked by the other cat. He's already feeling insecure by being in a new environment and how he was frightened by a perceived threat. He will be fine. Just give him time and gently reassure him that everything is ok. He must learn to trust you. Whatever you do, don't let him see the other cat. Your poor boy is frightened.