Scared of my 11 year old cat

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat Jasper since he was born. He's a cat everyone loves. I've always enjoyed snuggling him and never was afraid of him until the past couple of years.

The first time he bit and scratched me when he was 1, he found a bag of marshmallows and whenI tried taking it from him, he scratched my hands and was growling at me.

He never bit me again until he was 5 or 6. I was sitting on the couch playing video games and he wanted me to feed him. I didn't because it wasn't time. He sunk all four teeth inro the area surrounding my knee cap and he was trying toclamp down even harder. A week later we found out he had a urinary blockage and he was successfully unblocked and hasn't had issues since.

However he's continued the aggressive behavior. Anytime he wants to eat or, less often, play, he aggressively bites me, he aims for skin. He bites me so hard and deeply it turns into a swollen black bruise and bleeds a little. I'm in tears because he just lunged and bit my scalp. He doesn't have many signals he's going to do it, he normally just walks up to me and little by little gets as close as possible. He pretends to be sweet and then sinks his teeth in.

Me and my other cats are afraid of him, even his closest friends. He does the same thing to them. He pretends he's going to sniff them and then bites them HARD. Nobody wants to be around him anymore. My cats even run to me for protection from him sometimes. My cat Brom who used to sleep with Jasper will lay over my head when I'd be sleeping and he'd try to protect me from any early morning attacks from Jasper. It's horrible.

I also want to add, every time I've been attacked it's been around the time he's supposed to eat or when he's hungry and I'm ignoring him. He's overweight and a horrible foodie. We've worked on his diet and feedings and he's down to 15 pounds now. It doesn't happen weekly or even monthly. It has increased in frequency though. It happens less if I don't sit down. Almost all attacks happen on the couch.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry you're dealing with this upsetting problem with Jasper.
If you've had him since he was born, was he hand raised by you? Was he a singleton kitten?
He is now 11 and you said he bit you badly when he had a urinary blockage when he was 5 or 6. Has he bitten you that badly since?
If his worst bite was when he had a urinary blockage, I would make an appointment with the vet to have him checked out. Make absolutely sure they know he's very fixated on food, the attacks happen around feeding time, and that he has had a history of a urinary blockage in the past. I would ask the vet to have him tested for diabetes and other related problems.
It's strange he went a full 4-5 years in his youth without issues and it keeps coming up randomly. I don't know much about diabetes in cats but I do know blood sugar swings in humans can cause some strange behavior. If he's overweight and this happens around feeding time, I'd want to get that checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry you're dealing with this upsetting problem with Jasper.
If you've had him since he was born, was he hand raised by you? Was he a singleton kitten?
He is now 11 and you said he bit you badly when he had a urinary blockage when he was 5 or 6. Has he bitten you that badly since?
If his worst bite was when he had a urinary blockage, I would make an appointment with the vet to have him checked out. Make absolutely sure they know he's very fixated on food, the attacks happen around feeding time, and that he has had a history of a urinary blockage in the past. I would ask the vet to have him tested for diabetes and other related problems.
It's strange he went a full 4-5 years in his youth without issues and it keeps coming up randomly. I don't know much about diabetes in cats but I do know blood sugar swings in humans can cause some strange behavior. If he's overweight and this happens around feeding time, I'd want to get that checked out.
Thank you. To answer your question, he was raised in the house with his siblings but after the kittens were old enough their mother was taken back by their owner.

I'll ask for diabetic testing. I know he's had blood work in the past which looked fine but I'm not sure how that could change or if they ran the right tests. I just want him to be happy. I feel horrible because he's alienated himself from us due to his aggression. None of us can trust him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I would definitely recommend a full health check, as iPappy iPappy said. Cats can suffer from all kinds of health problems as they age and 11 years old is quite old for a cat. Things like diabetes, kidney disease, hypertension can occur even if blood work done a few months ago didn't show any problems.

If this were purely a behavioral problem I think you would have had problems with aggression throughout his life. The fact that it only happened a few times when he was younger and is now escalating makes me think it's health related.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree on the blood work and such. He is a senior kitty now. Also, do you feed him kibble? Could you change to an auto feeder? I like them for food obsessed cats because it kind of takes you out of the equation. Just a thought!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet does a thorough workup and comes up with nothing, ask about behavioral meds. Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft are all prescribed for cats and might help, if this is behavioral.

My brother had a cat that would lash out for most of its life. Many years later, his partner remains scared of cats and won't get another. It stinks to be afraid of your cat and I hope there is a solution found for it asap.