Scared my cat may have drank beer or rolled in it

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this the wrong place to post. Don't know what category this goes in. I swear I feel like this stuff happens only to me. For the people who remember my old posts you can see I am overly paranoid sometimes. Yesterday I walked in my kitchen and saw something wet on the floor by the fridge. I assumed it was water and walked away to clean it in a minute. Eventually I forgot. I come home later during the day and find the floor was sticky. I look in the fridge and the open beer bottle that's about 4 days old fell and it was dripping from the fridge to the floor. My fear is the cat drank it. I read about it and states a lot can happen immediately. I was going to bring him to the vet but that was on the floor for hours and my cat was completely fine. I know my cat well. Today he is fine also. Eating and drinking like a champ like nothing happened. My question is should I wash him. I am not sure if he rolled in it or something which is my worst fear. I don't want it on his coat. Wouldn't he be sticky? I checked everywhere and his coat is fine. I feel like cats avoid things are wet so I don't think he would of laid on on it. I don't want to put him through the stress of washing him. My worry and stress over him is gonna kill me one day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is fine at this point and his coat isn’t sticky or doesn’t smell then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think enough can get on his fur to be harmful, unless he was totally soaked in it, and he probably wouldn't drink enough on his own either. As long as he's acting normal, everything is fine :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would wash him, yes.
Nothing on his fur tho> i dont see smell or feel anything sticky
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think enough can get on his fur to be harmful, unless he was totally soaked in it, and he probably wouldn't drink enough on his own either. As long as he's acting normal, everything is fine :).
I dont even know if he touched it at all. Thats the crazy part

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And you're up and willing to risk it? Can't relate.
Dont talk to me about risking. I've done everything for my cat. I go to the vet 3 times a month. My cat has asthma and I get him an inhaler so he doesn't have to risk complication with pills. I don't ask for any praise for it because my cat deserves it. In matter of fact I called my vet and she said after a 1 day if nothing happened he is absolutely fine. I run to the vet for every little thing. Once I though he ate glass and ran to the vet and payed 400 dollars so he can tell me he didn't have any. If I dont have to do anything then so be it. My cat can have sever asthma attack if he is stressed from the water. Which he is. So I have a lot to think about. So please dont say you cant relate as you are a better human being when you dont know everyone situation

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dont talk to me about risking. I've done everything for my cat. I go to the vet 3 times a month. My cat has asthma and I get him an inhaler so he doesn't have to risk complication with pills. I don't ask for any praise for it because my cat deserves it. In matter of fact I called my vet and she said after a 1 day if nothing happened he is absolutely fine. I run to the vet for every little thing. Once I though he ate glass and ran to the vet and payed 400 dollars so he can tell me he didn't have any. Please get off your high horse
No one is on their high horse, risking this is till silly regardless of what you've done in the past - in which I didn't really ask to hear. I'd wash him to be safe, if that makes me some sorta... Prissy pants on a high horse then so be it. :) You asked and I answered, or were you only looking for things that comforted you?

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No one is on their high horse, risking this is till silly regardless of what you've done in the past - in which I didn't really ask to hear. I'd wash him to be safe, if that makes me some sorta... Prissy pants on a high horse then so be it. :) You asked and I answered, or were you only looking for things that comforted you?
Nothing to risk my vet told me since its been a day. My cat can have a sever asthma attack from the water my vet said. Should I risk that?

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing to risk my vet told me since its been a day. My cat can have a sever asthma attack from the water my vet said. Should I risk that?
well i washed him and it was the worst experience

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE: A reminder to all to keep comments to other members kind and courteous, not argumentative.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How'd you do it? Generally that's what makes the outcome.
I dont have a bathtub but I have rain shower with attachments. Almost like a hose. So i put it on light pressure and wet his entire body. Use specific cat soap. The "soap" rinsed out pretty quickly. My cat didn't scratch me at all. He was crying which made it the worse trying to escape the glass door. I did my best avoid face and ears. I put towel under neath him which was recommended but I didnt like it because it catches the soap and mad more difficult to rinse it out. Sorry If I was rude. I have a lot of pressure and stress when I take care of my cat since he is very delicate. So im always on edge in situations like this.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont have a bathtub but I have rain shower with attachments. Almost like a hose. So i put it on light pressure and wet his entire body. Use specific cat soap. The "soap" rinsed out pretty quickly. My cat didn't scratch me at all. He was crying which made it the worse trying to escape the glass door. I did my best avoid face and ears. I put towel under neath him which was recommended but I didnt like it because it catches the soap and mad more difficult to rinse it out. Sorry If I was rude. I have a lot of pressure and stress when I take care of my cat since he is very delicate. So im always on edge in situations like this.
Well, you did a good job. Usually people try putting them in the tub filled with water and the cat ends up snorting water and soap. I've always wanted one of those attachments! I usually just use a cup.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the attachments were great. I hope soap wasn't left over on him. After I used it and threw water on it it completely disappeared. It didn't act like regular soap. I'm just worried its like under his coat. It said soapless so I don't know what that exactly means

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the attachments were great. I hope soap wasn't left over on him. After I used it and threw water on it it completely disappeared. It didn't act like regular soap. I'm just worried its like under his coat. It said soapless so I don't know what that exactly means
I'm not sure what that means either, really. I usually just use dawn dish soap which is a pain to get off a cat! But both of these can't be too toxic, I think

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dont talk to me about risking. I've done everything for my cat. I go to the vet 3 times a month. My cat has asthma and I get him an inhaler so he doesn't have to risk complication with pills. I don't ask for any praise for it because my cat deserves it. In matter of fact I called my vet and she said after a 1 day if nothing happened he is absolutely fine. I run to the vet for every little thing. Once I though he ate glass and ran to the vet and payed 400 dollars so he can tell me he didn't have any. If I don't have to do anything then so be it. My cat can have sever asthma attack if he is stressed from the water. Which he is. So I have a lot to think about. So please don't say you cant relate as you are a better human being when you dont know everyone situation
I think heyitskevin was trying to say its better safe then sorry kind of thing because you aren't 100% sure if your cat could have got some beer on his fur, I don't think he was trying to say that you are a bad owner because, from your first post, you sound like someone who cares about your cat. If I wasn't 100 per cent sure, or still in doubt, I would do that same, wash the cat or wipe the cat down just in case. You know your cat better, and how the situation occurred.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Soapless Soaps (“synthetic detergent soaps”) So-called “soapless soaps” are derived from petroleum materials, fatty acids, and other substances selected to make them less irritating and provider better lathering.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think heyitskevin was trying to say its better safe then sorry kind of thing because you aren't 100% sure if your cat could have got some beer on his fur, I don't think he was trying to say that you are a bad owner because, from your first post, you sound like someone who cares about your cat. If I wasn't 100 per cent sure, or still in doubt, I would do that same, wash the cat or wipe the cat down just in case. You know your cat better, and how the situation occurred.
..I'm also a hypochondriac. I spilled detergent once on the washer and cleaned it off 100% however, if my cat manages to get passed me and even goes an inch close to the thing, he gets a full bath immediately. :lol: