Scared Cat May Have Run Away

bluemoonstudio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi: I am very worried that my 2nd cat "Kashi" who has been "scared of everything" has run away. She has been timid from the beginning, but over time, got a little better.

My other cat "Nikko" is 1 year older. She is much more assertive, and at first she seemed to tolerate Kashi, they even played together. Poor little Kashi, she loves Nikko so much, just wants a friend, follows her around, but their relationship has become more and more distant.

Since moving to the 1st floor, Nikko has grown to really resent Kashi and eventually started to growl or hiss at her when she was near or when she didn't want to share a space.

Kashi is a a real LOVE. Although she is afraid of even me most of the time, she does come out at night and will come up on the bed to snuggle under or over the covers with her little paws on my arm, purr like a motorboat and drool. She is a classic Calico with rabbit soft white fur and a black and orange cape.

Hiding under the bed most of the time, Nikko has even on occasion gone under the bed to growl at her there. I am distraught and heartbroken that she may have run away. It has since Friday night (6/26) since I've seen her. With the window open, I am praying that she is coming in while I sleep but am desperately worried that something has happened, feel guilty and irresponsible.

I can't believe that a kitty that is that scared would stay out overnight.

I have been walking my complex and will post fliers if she doesn't come home by Wednesday (6/30) and will also contact the Humane Society.

Is there anything else I can do?

In gratitude...Eve

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand... If you haven't seen your cat since Friday, she HAS run away... I am not quite sure of why you think that she "might" have ran away... What is the alternative? She would be hiding somewhere? No, she ran away. She is lost and she needs to be found.

If you say that she is so afraid of everything... Can you just imagine how petrified she might be right now? The time to do something is NOW, not Wednesday, but NOW. Why wait? I am not following that thought process.

Please please do not wait... Put up posters, put stinky food by your door - as in tuna, or her favorite food, her dirty litterbox as well... DO contact the shelters, humane society and the vet offices in your area.

Put an add on Craigs List. Walk everywhere, call her, look under the bushes, fences, and anywhere she might look for shelter.

I am sure others will come by to give you more advices... but PLEASE do NOT wait!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it does sound like you knew the possibilities of the worst that could happen, and they have. You mentioned moving to the first floor, from where? How old is Kashi and how old is Nikko? How far apart were they introduced and how long before your move? Are they indoor/outdoor kitties? Are they spayed/neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluemoonstudio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many thanks for the concerned and STRONG replys to my original post. I took action on multiple levels within 24 hours of her leaving. She has been afraid from day 1 and for 3 years, I have done everything in my power to help alleviate her fear continuing to work with her constantly.

After consulting with 2 vets, it is clear that it is more than just being afraid. Something must have happened very early to her or there is another biological/emotional issue. It seems to go in cycles. I work in triage with people in crisis everyday all day and see it happen all the time. It makes sense that animals are no different.

Our living environment is a tight situation, neighbors look out for eachother and our pets...a good network. She came home last night, all is well. The best and most loving thing is for her to be an indoor cat only. Oh...Nikko is 4 yrs and Kashi is 3 yrs.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SOOOO glad to hear she's back!

The world is a big scary place for kitties, and they have survived in it this long by being afraid of everything that is unusual or new. That much is natural.

But we have one cat (Ella, the Katrina survivor) who is easily spooked, even by us.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad she is home and this has a happy ending. Close that window, or get a screen! yes, both cats should be kept inside at all times from now on.

Welcome to TCS, would love to hear more about Nikko and Tashi.

Some feliway plug in diffusers may help with Nikkos aggressiveness, (and Kashi's stress). Rescue Remedy also can help Tashi feel less stressed.

Make sure you have at least three litter boxes and enough elevated space (in the house) for both cats. Cats like to be up high to survey their worlds. These things will go a long way toward helping them live together peaceably.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank GOD she came back!!! That is a wonderful happy ending!

Yes, sorry for the strong post... But there was urgency, and I am so very very glad she came back!
Stick around, there are many people who can help you with that issue... and a screen on that window will help you to have the best of both Worlds - fresh air and safety for the kitties!
And I agree wholeheartedly - inside is so much safer than outside!!

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear this has a happy ending!!!

Sort of. There is a definite issue between your two cats. Kashi is living in terror of your other cat and she needs to have a place where she can feel it is safe to retreat to in your house. Other than just under a bed. Is there a way you can partition them separate from each other in your home. Your kitty is very high strung. Some cats are just like that. And yes other cats with a bolder personality will take advantage of this. some cats can be real bullies.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear Kashi has returned home! I would recommend Feliway to help diffuse the aggressive relationship between Kashi and Nikko. I also totally agree that they are indoor kitties, but may be threatened by outdoor strays or neighborhood cats lurking about.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad everything turned out OK! I only have one kitty, so I don't know anything about multiple cats and introductions, but I do want to say that my Holland is a scaredy-cat too. I'm somewhat surprised that two vets told you that she has biological/emotional issues... I adopted Holland when she was almost 5 months old, she was brought to the shelter with her mom and her litter. She was at the shelter for two months before I adopted her, her mom and littermates going sooner because... when people go looking for a kitten they want the playful ones, not the scared ones. Judging from her history it doesn't seem like she was abused, at least not any more than her littermates, yet she was still more scared than them. I guess that could be considered biological, though...

She is afraid of every person she's ever seen. It took me a long time to get her to trust me, and I was told when I adopted her that she would be best as an only pet, at least for a while. Some cats are just like that... I don't think it's a defect, I think it's just a trait. I hope your little ones get used to each other, and I agree that you should get a screen for your window! It sounds like Kashi needs to be an indoor cat...