Scared About My Kitten's Spay Appointment!!

DeepSpaceCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before you start reading, I'm telling you right now that you can mark this question down as 'one of the dumbest questions ever asked on this site' with full confidence. That being said....

Will getting spayed traumatize my kitten??

I have not had to personally have an animal spayed or neutered, ever. The last time I had a pet that needed to have that done was over 20 years ago when I was a small child who didn't know what was going on. (Every pet since then has been a rescue that was old enough to have already had the procedure done before I adopted them.)

This kitten of ours, she's fearless. I've never had such an outgoing, sweet and cuddly cat before in my life, and the thought that she might come home different is driving my anxiety up the wall. I know it's silly and you're all probably going to tell me that it's going to be just fine, but I can't shake the idea that this little fearless kitty will come home to be grumpy and fearful!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think this is a stupid question at all. Whether because we think about the psychological aspect of what would happen to a human if we had an ovariohysterctemy (spay,) or the hormonal changes we might experience, or if you are simply considering the potential confusion your kitty might feel at the vet, this is all normal. Luckily, you have nothing to worry about. Cats don't have the same psychological and hormonal makeup as humans. The only major behavior that might be altered by spaying is a reduction in the desire to roam or the negative affects of your kitty going into heat (moaning, spraying, etc.)
Cat Behavior After Spaying - Petcha

I know I can't completely assuage your anxiety, since it's still a surgery. If you've decided to spay her, however, it's because you think the benefits far outweigh the risks. My kitten got spayed, and she is just as playful and loving as ever now that she's recovered. This site is a wealth of resources for how to care for your kitten post spay, and the members are always available if you have any other questions! Giving your kitten lots of love and meeting her needs while she's on the mend will only strengthen your bond as she sees how much she can rely on you. Good luck to you and your kitten for the spay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeepSpaceCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm stressing so much about it, it's nice to hear things like this even if logically I knew it would be fine!! I've just never had such a sweet, chill kitten, I would absolutely hate it if anything traumatized her or made her super unhappy!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a stupid question at all. I basically have a panic attack every time my cats have to go to the vet. But it's always turned out just fine so far.

DeepSpaceCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m really glad you asked this “stupid” question. I’m sitting in the car with Penny as I type waiting for the vet to open for her spay and I am near panic level. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one.
If it makes you feel better, since posting this thread Jadzia has been spayed, and when I picked her up the next day, ALL of my panic and worries disappeared instantly. Not only was she the same loving, fearless kitty that I had dropped off the day before, but she spent the first day back just sleeping on our laps.

That was Friday, and Jadzia is already completely back to her old self. My biggest stress now is making sure she doesn't aggravate the spay incision by running all over the place like a maniac lol

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.I honestly don't know why i was so panicked this morning. I was not like this when Luna was spayed! I can't wait to pick Penny up tomorrow and fortunately I will be off and be home with her the next few days.

DeepSpaceCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope tomorrow comes very quickly for you!!!

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She is home and very tired! In an e-collar because she won't leave her incision alone, but otherwise great! I am so tankful for the support of this site!