Scarab Beetle Mark Or Letter "m"

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 and @1CatOverTheLine
I 've posted a few times before on this website and got lots of wonderful feedback on Gracie's coat type. I'm just wondering now, for the fun of it, if Gracie's forehead has the typical letter "M" you see on most tabbies or the scarab beetle mark. I realize she's probably not an Egyptian Mau mix, but if you do see the scarab beetle mark on her forehead, then I might pursue getting a DNA test on her someday. She's shaded so you only see the spots on her when she lies down in certain positions like the picture of her in her cat bed (in-basket)--laughs. She does have longer hind legs, but I don't see a primordial pouch, but my other cat has one, but it's probably because he's a bit on the obese side. Gracie is around 3 to 4 years old, and I already know her coat- type because I already consulted with the wonderful, knowledgeable
20170604_165718.jpg
20170620_104204.jpg
20170310_112730.jpg
experts on this forum. Pictures attached.
20170605_080736.jpg
20160728_083500.jpg
20161207_163124.jpg
20170813_164117.png
20160721_140108.jpg
20170904_141729.jpg
20170813_155859.jpg

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"M", starts and ends at the inner edge of the eyebrows

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks more like a scarab than it does an 'M'. But to be honest, I'm not sure.
She does have some markings and characteristics of a Mau, but they just aren't very prominent.
Every time I looked at the pictures, I seemed to focus on the ears for some reason. The ears are wrong. They are not Mau ears.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that there's an "M" and there's a "Scarab" (two different markings).
I've also read that there's an "M", often referred to as a "scarab". (one marking called different things).
From what I've seen, I can make out an "M" no matter what it's being called.
So, I dunno...It's whatever you want it to be? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat and kashmir64 kashmir64 , Thank you so much for your replies! basscat, I did not know that the letter "M" started at the inner eyebrow on one eye and ended at the inner eyebrow on the other eye. That is fascinating! I clearly can see the "M" on my girl, but I always thought I saw something a little bit more right above that "M" that sort of resembled the scarab beetle mark, but I'm sure a lot of other cats have that, too, and that doesn't necessarily mean that they have Egyptian Mau mixed in their genes. kashmir64, I think I probably already knew that she truly did not have Egyptian Mau mixed in her. I agree with you that she doesn't have the prominent features of an Egyptian Mau, and you also said her ears were wrong for an Egyptian Mau. Another thing, I don't see a lot of spots on the top of her fur, but there are some. She has some traits like the Egyptian Mau from what I've read on them, and that's why I was also curious, but probably a lot of other cats /Moggies have these traits too. I haven't had a young cat in a long time. She still acts like a kitten. She drowns her catnip mouse in the water bowl constantly, and throws it up on the table, counter, kitchen sink, stove, with her paw, and is very playful at night the way she runs around. All I have to do is put my hand on the laser pointer before clicking it to turn on the laser light then she just comes out of nowhere to play. She used to only chortle when I first got her, but now it's half chortling and a very soft meow, and she is very fast, but like I said, I have not had a young cat in a long time. When I would be thinking about getting a cat, the word would get out and an adult cat would just show up on my doorstep. That's how I ended up with most of my cats. I had a cat jump into my car once after I parked it to get out, and he followed me home eleven years ago, and I still have him. His name is Tyler. Getting back to Gracie, who I got at the shelter, she can be a bit of a klutz sometimes. She gets on the edge of things and then falls off. She walk sideways, backwards, and she can jump up on things with ease, but I think most young cats can do that as well. She's somewhere around 3 to 4 years old, semi-feral cat, and I already know her coat-type due to the experts on this forum, so I really shouldn't be clogging up this particular thread anymore on "Describing Cats--What Do They Look like". I was just curious to see what people thought about the "M" versus a possible scarab beetle mark on her forehead.
View attachment 195111 Probably a lot of moggies have that as well. Thank you for your kind comments, all your feedback. and for your time.☺ I always knew she was a bit shaded/shady!☺laughs...Here are some more pictures before I go.
20170902_130037.jpg
20170902_130037.jpg
20170902_130037.jpg
20161123_081818.jpg
View attachment 195116

Attachments