Scabs & Scratching

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 year old male cat with pretty severe skin issues, and I need advice on what to do next. Back in May, we discovered a UTI. We took him to the vet, and they, of course, switched to his food. He stayed on the vet's prescription food for a couple of months. Once he finished the bag, we switched to a new food, as suggested by the vet. I think it was September that we first noticed the scabs. My first thought was fleas and I immediately applied Revolution to both cats. By October, the scabs were getting worse, despite there being still no sign of fleas. We took him back to the vet. The vet also thought fleas but couldn't find any evidence of them. She gave him antibiotics and a steroid shot and told us to switch his food. She said it could take up to 3 months to clear up if the reaction was a food allergy. Towards the beginning of November, I began to get really worried about how much he was scratching. He was tearing his skin up, into bloody scabs and breaking his nails. We took him back, for a second round of antibiotics and a cone. The vet instructed me to give him Benadryl, but when attempting to do that ended up in new scars for me and barely any Benadryl in his mouth, they gave him a second steroid shot. And that's where we are now. He is still desperately trying to scratch. The cone helps, but the scabs are still there and he has severely broken at least one toenail. I don't know what to do. I can't tell if it's the food, because it's not getting better. I can't stand seeing him so miserable. I would very much appreciate any ideas on what to do next!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not even sure how many foods your cat has been on, but it sounds like at least 3, and now maybe 4? I am guessing from your post that the 3rd food change was made shortly before the scratching started? Can you compare the ingredients of at least the last two foods he was on to see what the differences are? That may at least give you a clue about if there is an ingredient or two that could be the cause. And, you could also check those with this new food, just to see what is in it compared to the others as well.

As far as the Benadryl, administering it might be a two person job. Wrapping the cat in a towel to restrict movement, and holding him while another person uses a syringe to squirt a little bit at a time in his mouth, is at least worth a try.

I've also read on this site about using Chamomile tea as a topical treatment to the wounds to soothe, and even help heal, them. I believe it is brewed and then cooled, and then dabbed onto the wound with a cotton ball.

I know others on this site will come along soon and offer suggestions for you as well!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first food was basically a combination of wet and dry Friskies. Then it was the Hill's Prescription Urinary Health, then Purina Pro Plan indoor health, now he's on Instinct Raw Boost (grain free). I want him back on wet foods, but I gotta figure this out first.

The Benadryl was definitely a two person job. My boyfriend wrapped him in a towel and tried to hold his arms, but he's a strong little thing and still managed to fight me.

I was going to try a sensitive skin oatmeal cat shampoo tonight, because I know the human version does wonders for my hives. (Momma's got sensitive skin too, so I feel for him.)

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently the oatmeal shampoo I bought has chamomile extract in it and lots of other good stuff. The only thing those foods seem to have in common is that they are chicken based. Is it possible that he is allergic to chicken?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... The only thing those foods seem to have in common is that they are chicken based. Is it possible that he is allergic to chicken?
Unfortunately, chicken and fish and beef can be common causes of food intolerance or allergens to cats.

Sometimes cats' reactions to various poultry differs, though. Some cats allergic to chicken do okay with turkey or duck.

Instinct Raw Boost has a Rabbit version -- have you tried just that for a few months' time period?

nymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have a cat that couldn't tolerate beef, so that doesn't really surprise me. It's just a bit harder to avoid chicken. I haven't seen the rabbit version at the Petco close to me, but I might call around.