Scabies Outbreak!!

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I live in the Southeast of Turkey in a small city called Batman :doh: Like every city in Turkey, we have many feral cats and dogs. There is an area in the city called 'Site' which is one of the rare places where there is greenery and a famous restaurant. The restaurant has always given the table scraps to cats and even takes care of the cats litters so naturally Site is filled with cats.

2 months ago while visiting the restaurant I noticed a cat with a bleeding head that seemed to have been shaved. The cat ran away from me so I contacted the vet who kindly came to us. He told me the cat had scabies and that he would have to catch the cat and treat it. The vet sadly failed to catch the cat and I regret to say after 2 more phone calls I sadly didn't stay on top of the issue.

Today I visited the area to notice nearly all the cats now have scabies! I feel horrible, stupid and useless :( those poor poor cats all caught scabies because the vet couldn't catch the one cat! I should have called everyday and reminded them, I feel horrendous. I called the same vet and told him what happened, he said he would look into it and then said there wasn't much he could do because there was so many!! I contacted the only animal shelter we have and they too said they couldn't do anything :angryfire: I am now fuming at them and angry at myself! I then contacted the town hall and they have just got back to me. Apparently the cats are timid and will not allow the vet to inject them with medicine.

I am sure there has to be another way! Those poor cats are all in a terrible state and are being left to suffer. I am sure with the level scabies has spread all the cats in Batman will have scabies within a few months.

Please please any tip will be helpful!!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to get Frontline Plus on the back of their necks? That might help since it treats mites and mange. I think mites cause scabies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a way farmers treat farm cats who have mange or ear mites, using ivermectin mixed with milk (or whatever treat you can count on them eating/drinking enthusiastically). I hate to endorse that method, as it's easy to overdose with ivermectin so it can be dangerous, but if they're unhandleable it may be the best option, and altogether less dangerous than the mange. You can Google for more info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank-you for your replies.

I looked into Frontline Plus - apparently it is better suited for ticks so I am not sure how effective it will be. I'll now look into ivermectin. I wish there was a way to safely treat the scabies without putting the poor cats into more risk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is also used on mange.
If they could catch the cats to apply Revolution, they would be able to catch them for the vet to inject them and it wouldn't be an issue.

The injection the vet would use is probably ivermectin, so you can talk to him about using it orally. It really is quite a safe drug, as far as drugs go, but the risk is that cats are small and it can be easy to overdose, especially when you can't dose them individually. But I think sneaking ivermectin into a treat is the only real option here, so it's worth that risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hii, I am happy to say the cats are on their way to recover :) The vet did put 'medicine' into all the foods in the area and have been staying on top of the area. Every time I visit the area I see the vets from the town hall there :) Thank you for your replies.