Scabby cat losing fur

Eadams410

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently has started presenting with scabs, all over her body. There are some on her back, neck, head, ears. First she scabs, then the area flakes off and she loses her fur. See pictures. I'm not sure if she's scratching or over grooming or what but this has been going on for several months. We have tried antifungal topical, antibacterial topicals, as well as oatmeal and aloe baths made for cats, to no avail. What is going on with this poor girl?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Poor baby!! Given that it has been going on this long, a vet visit is in order - probably for them to take a skin scraping for testing. It could be from some sort of allergy - food or environmental. So, anything that might have changed around the time this started would be good information for the vet - food changes, litter type changes, soaps/detergents, etc. Even if there hasn't been any food changes doesn't mean she has not become allergic to one of her foods' ingredients.

You don't see her scratching at these spots? How old is she? Is she indoor/outdoor. If so, you have to consider what is going on outside as well that could be impacting her.

It can also be related to some sort of health issue, and I would suspect the vet will recommend a full blood panel to be done as well to see if some disorder shows up in the blood work up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eadams410

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Poor baby!! Given that it has been going on this long, a vet visit is in order - probably for them to take a skin scraping for testing. It could be from some sort of allergy - food or environmental. So, anything that might have changed around the time this started would be good information for the vet - food changes, litter type changes, soaps/detergents, etc. Even if there hasn't been any food changes doesn't mean she has not become allergic to one of her foods' ingredients.

You don't see her scratching at these spots? How old is she? Is she indoor/outdoor. If so, you have to consider what is going on outside as well that could be impacting her.

It can also be related to some sort of health issue, and I would suspect the vet will recommend a full blood panel to be done as well to see if some disorder shows up in the blood work up.
She is 8 years old and indoor only. We did bring in a new rescue a few months before this started, but she never seemed too bothered. Could be stress? And I rarely see her actively stretching or biting these areas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At 8 yo she is closing in on senior-hood (8-10 yo is the average time line for a cat to be deemed a senior). If you can't identify potential causes that were closer to the time line when this started - I would think your best bet is to take her to the vet for testing and see what comes from that. I am hard pressed to think this is related to the rescue, especially if it was months before she started with the scabbing. Plus, I would have thought you would have seen other stress related signs - particularly over-grooming, or anything else that you would consider 'out of the norm' for her.

You could always send pics to the vet, but odds are they will tell you to bring her in for a thorough check up.