Scabbing At Neuter Site??

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted about this a couple of days ago but this is an updated version. Bear, 4-5 yr old semi-feral cat was neutered 2 weeks ago. I noticed shortly after that he was scabbing on the sack (I thought they made the incision site down the middle but looking online more, turns out they make one on each side and that’s where he is scabbing). A few days ago I found the scabs in his blankets and tiny bits of blood, like he had ripped it off. I talked to the vet and they said to put the cone back on him and bring him in this weekend if the abrasions haven’t healed up.

This is what the site looks like right now (pics attached). The little yellow specs are from his pine litter, don’t worry about those. But as you can see the 2 places they make incisions just look kind of weird, and I don’t know if I should just wait for them to scab up again or if it’s even normal for them to scab. I only want to take him in to the vet if 100% needed because he is semi-feral and it would traumatize him, and they’d probably have to sedate him, and it’d take me so many steps back in my socialization process.

I’m attaching pics, please let me know what you think.

PS he is peeing/pooping/eating normally. Has been on antibiotics for the past 2 weeks so I don’t know if that effects the possibility of the site getting infected.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks bad :(. Very swollen, or something. Definitely not what a normal neuter site looks like. Can you send those pictures to the vet? I understand not wanting to stress him, and he is already on antibiotics, but I do think the vet needs to see that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also thought it looked more swollen than usual but the vet said that sometimes it just continues looking like the balls are there after a neuter if the cat is older when neutered. But yes he has an appointment in the morning. Thank you for your reply :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he has a vet appointment, i think its needed. Keep us updated!

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guys at 2 weeks n there's no swelling but he has 2 scabs (one test hadn't descended so he had ab incision) which are dark
I'll try to shoot today
This pic was day 5

Attachments