Scab?? or something on my kittens chin

marthacunningham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! I recently noticed there was something that felt hard when petting my kitten on her chin. i ended up thinking it was just something that got stuck on there and wiped it down, but it definitely looks like it could be something else? Can anyone possibly help me figure out what it could be? help is very much appreciated!!

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it feel like a tiny grain of rice or something like that?

Might be a form of feline acne...just like humans get, except on cats.

What's the first thing you should do for human acne? Keep it clean! Gently wash then pay attention to hygiene in those areas, from now on. You don't need to put anything on it. Just keep it clean and it will go away on its own. The only time you need to be concerned would be when the area becomes inflamed, red and swollen. Then it would be time for a visit to the vet but you don't have to worry about that. Just keep it clean.

The place under a cat's chin is one of the hardest places to clean for a cat. It's also the place where all the things they eat get slopped. A perfect breeding ground for acne. Even an ordinarily clean cat that grooms regularly can get acne under the chin.

Occasionally wipe the kitty's chin with a clean cloth and some warm water after eating... Stuff like that.

One place to look that most people don't think of is their food and water dishes. They sit out, dirty, for half a day and, when the cat eats, picks up bacteria from the dishes. Keep the cat's food and water dishes spotlessly clean. Also, think about the material the dishes are made of. Metal, glass and properly glazed ceramic are best. They are easy to clean and keep sanitary without bacteria growing in any small recesses along the surface. Plastic are the worst because they get fine scratches in the surface which can harbor bacteria which will, then, multiply after you put food and water inside.

Use metal food and water dishes and keep them clean, daily. Most people do but a few people go, "Doh!" when you remind them. :doh: