Scab/cut on cats arm.. is it from our new cat or something else?

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I'll try to keep it short. A little less then a month ago, I adopted a 1 year old male named Wonton. He is still not neutered due to covid, but is getting neutered in a week. Anyways, he is freely roaming the house with our 2.5 year old female cat, Gnocchi. They live ok together mostly, but definitely get into some spats. It usually starts off as one of them trying to play with the other, and her becoming defensive and it turning into a little fight. Generally it has seemed ok, as she bounces back quickly and they will be fine otherwise. If she's grumpy she will swat or hiss and get mad (although often will just walk by) or now, Wonton often gets worked up and chases Gnocchi and she gets upset by this at times. I think he does this at times because he's intact still and trying to mate. It's increased over the last few days, where he is chasing her nonstop and she seems to want to play at first but very quickly screaming begins.

ANYWAYS, today I noticed on Gnocchis arm around her "elbow", she has a cut/scab. Theres some fur missing it seems, and it's red (wet, not scabbed over), and a bit yellow on the outside it appears. She's licking it. It doesn't look like a normal scratch from a cat fight, but I'm wondering whether this looks like it happened due to a fight between the two? Or does it look like something else is wrong. Either way, I will call my vet tomorrow to speak to them but it's incredibly difficult to get in with them at the moment unless it's an emergency due to cover so I thought I'd ask everyone here their thoughts.

I am also wondering if people think they should be out together given their fights and the screaming.. They often are sleeping during the day, but it worries me. Right now they are separated because he is chasing her (although she is trying to play at first but keeps getting really upset).

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow what a day. Right after posting this, wonton went and squatted in our garbage which he has never done before and peed. (He did not spray, it was a full pee right into the bin.) I had just been saying yesterday how sometimes he goes into the litter box, then to the other one (both enclosed) and doesn't go. But when its clean he goes right away. We were just about to clean them when this happened... Now I'm worried about that too!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would keep them separated unless you can be there to supervise them - at least until he is neutered. Try and keep the litter boxes as clean as possible and as often as you can to see if that is Wonton's problem. Maybe even add a third litter box to help out with that. The general rule of thumb is 1 box for each cat plus 1 (= 3) anyway. This issue might too go away after he is neutered.

As far as Gnocchi's wound - buy some chamomile tea bags (any of the local grocery store varieties, which are almost always German - you don't want English nor any additives/flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and is also an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should Gnocchi lick it. If it doesn't look better in a day or so, it might need a more 'potent' treatment from your vet.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would keep them separated unless you can be there to supervise them - at least until he is neutered. Try and keep the litter boxes as clean as possible and as often as you can to see if that is Wonton's problem. Maybe even add a third litter box to help out with that. The general rule of thumb is 1 box for each cat plus 1 (= 3) anyway. This issue might too go away after he is neutered.

As far as Gnocchi's wound - buy some chamomile tea bags (any of the local grocery store varieties, which are almost always German - you don't want English nor any additives/flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and is also an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. It is also safe should Gnocchi lick it. If it doesn't look better in a day or so, it might need a more 'potent' treatment from your vet.
Thank you. We will definitely keep them separated unless they're being monitored from now on, and hopefully his lunging at her is just an issue due to not being neutered and they become ok together again.

Unfortunately we live in a studio and have no room for a third litter box, although I am going to get one for the time being just in our room to have while they're separated like before. I will also start to change their litter twice a day. He used the litter box normally this morning to go pee, so clearly he doesn't always hate it..

And thank you so much for the suggestion about chamomile. I will do that, and am keeping a close eye on it. I just wondering if the cut is from Wonton or not....

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like all the great progress we've made with Wonton went downhill quick in one day. I don't understand. He started nibbling on *clean* litter last night as well after the peeing accident.. I did a bunch of research, and understand that isn't a normal thing and is usually indicative of an underlying issue. It appears its often anemia, and he is getting his blood work done for neutering next week anyways so I will mention it to his vet at that time as well. Agh... so stressed right now!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He started nibbling on *clean* litter last night as well after the peeing accident.. I did a bunch of research, and understand that isn't a normal thing and is usually indicative of an underlying issue. It appears its often anemia
I have also heard that it can be related to kidney issues - and, actually, even anxiety. Both of which could also have caused the peeing outside the litter box. Anemia itself is not a disease but, rather, a sign of an underlying health issue, so the blood work will be helpful to at least rule out or confirm that aspect.