Saying Goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby, Echo collapsed suddenly while vomiting, I immediately took him to the vet, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, he's losing weight rapidly. He'll be gone soon, and I don't know what to do. I'm just sitting here crying my eyes out, I've had him for 14 years. He won't eat, won't drink, he won't even get up.

I honestly don't know what to do, I can't imagine being without him, his brother is gonna be so heartbroken. I don't wanna think about saying my final goodbye. He's sitting on my lap as I write this, purring, almost like he knows I'm gonna be heartbroken when he crosses the rainbow bridge.

Do you have any advice for making him take his pills? He won't eat them as he doesn't even eat his normal food.

I'm gonna miss him so much.

~Echy

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. Did the vet recommend that you try to give him these pills at this stage? If so, what human food does he like? When my first cat, Tawny, was in the latter stages of FIP, he stopped eating his own food, wouldn't hardly move around on his own, but I just wasn't ready to let go. We tried multiple human foods with him - turned out he loved cheese and would at least eat small amounts. I don't know about the water for Echo as we could, until the very end, get Tawny to drink - at least some by taking it to him. Another option, might be to use a small syringe to squirt water into his mouth?? If the pills can be smashed, and don't taste terrible, they could be administered that way as well.

Purring can mean many things. Some cats, at some times, purr to console themselves. It is actually, a lot of cases, very therapeutic for them to do so.

I am sure there are others who can give you better advice than I can. I hope you hear from many more very, very soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Did the vet recommend that you try to give him these pills at this stage? If so, what human food does he like? When my first cat, Tawny, was in the latter stages of FIP, he stopped eating his own food, wouldn't hardly move around on his own, but I just wasn't ready to let go. We tried multiple human foods with him - turned out he loved cheese and would at least eat small amounts. I don't know about the water for Echo as we could, until the very end, get Tawny to drink - at least some by taking it to him. Another option, might be to use a small syringe to squirt water into his mouth?? If the pills can be smashed, and don't taste terrible, they could be administered that way as well.

Purring can mean many things. Some cats, at some times, purr to console themselves. It is actually, a lot of cases, very therapeutic for them to do so.

I am sure there are others who can give you better advice than I can. I hope you hear from many more very, very soon.
Thank you for the reply, Echo adores smoked turkey and I happen to have some in my fridge. I didn't know why, but the vet did recommend pills at this stage. I'll try the syringe, the pills can be smashed easily.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also take a pate type canned food and mix it with water and the pills and syringe that. That way, he is getting some nourishment along with the medication. My heart with yours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also need to say - my neighbor's little 14 yo dog has been in heart failure for a while now; she gets heart meds and a diuretic. So, there's a possibility that if you can get Echo to take the pills, you might see some improvement. Let's hope that's the case!

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also take a pate type canned food and mix it with water and the pills and syringe that. That way, he is getting some nourishment along with the medication. My heart with yours.
Thank you for the idea, however, I just lost my baby. His heart just stopped working. This is the last photo I took of him about 4 days ago.

Attachments

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, no. But, you are right with your quote: "...no longer suffering." I am so, so sorry.
You have nothing to be sorry about, thank you for all the help, I managed to get him to eat one more time.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry for your loss, and I can sympathize with your heartbreak all too well. I recently lost my old man to I suspect heart failure. He had seemed fine, decent shape for his age, and had a recent check up at the vet. Shortly after, I came home from work and found that he had passed away.

Know that you are not alone. Somebody had shared a quote with me, that "grief is just love with nowhere to go." It was something that that somewhat helped to comfort me- that as much as my heart has broken, the love that we shared was just so profoundly beautiful, and it is something I will always cherish, as I am sure that you will, too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.
Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at our Crossing the Bridge forum as an enduring testimony to your friend.

RIP Echo
:rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.