Say that was my couch.....

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love my cat and in no way want to hurt him. The tenectomy sounds like it is as mutilating as declawing.

When I tried to put on soft claws I got bitten and Topaz wouldn't stay still, so I wound aup bleeding for 5 hours (I am on blood thinners) and very frustrated.

What I found out is that the vet can apply soft claws. Topaz doesn't like his paws touched, but the vet has no issue with that. It isn't expensive and can be done in 10 minutes.

So that is my solution. Soft claws professionally applied once every month or two and the problem will hopefully be solved.

I will keep you all posted.
So glad to see that you chose the Soft Claws route.  It has worked wonders for our boy Si's random scratching of the furniture.   We had the vet do it first to show me how to properly trim his nails and apply the caps.  Now I can do them myself -- but he has to be in a hard sleep or he wants to nip.   Weird the nail clipping doesnt bother him at all, because I always play with his feet, but I think the smell of the cap glue sets him into nipping mode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have already trimmed Topaz's nails. He lay in my arms with a big smile on his face! BUT it didn't stop him from clawing at my furniture and even with cut nails he could rip it to shreds!

I don't understand why he could.

Anyway when I tried soft claws he was very disturbed by it and bit me. Maybe it is the smell of the glue. I think you are right.

charlie elaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no inhumane way to declaw a cat.  They do not just remove the claw, they remove the entire first knuckle and then you run into a million worse problems because their paws are too sensitive for the rest of their sweet, little, devious lives.  They make nail caps that can be glued over their claws so that they cannot destroy your furniture.  Cool part?  They come in clear or a variety of colors so it looks like kitty just got a rockin' mani-pedi.  They do have to be replaced ever so often, but they are worth it to see your furbaby not in pain and your furniture not in shambles.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you go to petco.com and search for nail caps, they come right up!  Easy peasy![/font]

It's gonna take more than one person to put those puppies on.  You could have it done by a groomer and not have to stress about trying to do it yourself though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no inhumane way to declaw a cat.  They do not just remove the claw, they remove the entire first knuckle and then you run into a million worse problems because their paws are too sensitive for the rest of their sweet, little, devious lives.  They make nail caps that can be glued over their claws so that they cannot destroy your furniture.  Cool part?  They come in clear or a variety of colors so it looks like kitty just got a rockin' mani-pedi.  They do have to be replaced ever so often, but they are worth it to see your furbaby not in pain and your furniture not in shambles.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you go to petco.com and search for nail caps, they come right up!  Easy peasy![/font]

It's gonna take more than one person to put those puppies on.  You could have it done by a groomer and not have to stress about trying to do it yourself though.
Yes; the OP posted that the vet is going to put them on Topaz. 

I love Topaz's name by the way!

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today Topaz and I went to the Vet to get soft Claws put on. It was quite an ordeal more for me than for Topaz. I was worried that they would hurt the cat, but he didn't seem to mind too much. Some things are just meant to be. While he was getting his mani-pedi the technician found an infection that I hadn't noticed under his chin! Poor thing. (He is pretty hairy under there...) The Vet was summoned and she checked out Topaz and found that he had a small bit of fever. Antibiotics were quickly administered and a follow up appointment booked.

Thank god I took Topaz to the Vet  to have soft claws applied. I also have an analgesic to give him every day.

Thanks to this forum I did the right thing for Topaz and stopped his suffering as well. Poor thing!

THANK-YOU ALL FROM BOTH OF US!!!

Hugs & Kisses to my friends on TheCatSite - Topaz!

Last edited:

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a follow up for those of you following this thread.  Topaz doesn't even know his softclaws are there! He is happy and so am I! Problem solved.

I do have one question and concern - when a month is up I dont want Topaz to be without his softclaws! Can they be taken off, his nails trimmed and new ones applied??

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will fall off when Topaz sheds the claw sheath. They can be re-applied as many times as you want to have it done. Some people keep their cats in Soft Claws all of their lives. Just like some people use nail polish on their dogs claws and change the colors each time.