Saw the stray again today..

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big tuxedo stray I saw a few months ago is back. He looks better than he did last time- his eyes are clear and hes not snuffling and wheezing anymore. I took a small bowl of food way out into the back yard, as far from the house as I could get and gave it to him. He came running when I shook the bowl and meowed at me. Poor guy is so thin. I took a peek at him as he was eating- not touching him of course, don't want to pass anything to my cats. His ears look very clean, no sign of mites, and no external sign of worms, although being stray he probably has them.

I've been talking to hubby and he said if I can come up with the money to have a vet look at him and run blood tests, and neuter him we may be able to help him out, even if its just until we can find him a good home.

Hes such a handsome, sweet boy. I think he deserves a chance. At least his tummy is full for tonight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh- I'm also wondering if it would ever be possible to integrate him into our established kitty home if thats the way it all goes? My two cats decided to sneak out one day and he fought with both of them. They are scared of him when they see him through the window, could they ever get used to him?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His tummy is probably full of worms, poor boy needs a vet, a neuter and a good home.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Know
I don't see him very often, but maybe I can at least put some worm med laced wet food out for him for now. Would it be good to put some antibiotics in some food for him too? It would be better than nothing for the time being...

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how difficult it is with strays... I have some strays/ferals that I feed and try to take care of.

I am trying to get them spayed/neutered one by one and get them vetted but it's difficult on my budget.
There's some great programs in the area I live where ferals can be seen by a vet at a lesser cost so maybe you can check out the possibility of cat rescue/spaying/neutering programs in ur area?

You might want to check this website out - http://www.alleycat.org/resources.html- it has information on how to take care of ferals (trapping/fixing/ getting shots, etc) and info on vets who works primarily with ferals and some does it for cheap.

Also, check this website out- http://worldanimalnet.org/new.asp?co...=na&prov=&cat= it has info on cat rescue groups, etc located in Canada. Maybe they can help u or refer u to the right organization? Hope this helps!

To answer ur question-
Oh- I'm also wondering if it would ever be possible to integrate him into our established kitty home if thats the way it all goes? My two cats decided to sneak out one day and he fought with both of them. They are scared of him when they see him through the window, could they ever get used to him?
Anything is possible - I've heard stories of feral cats being adopted into an established kitty homes successfully. It will take time and patience...

Good luck and keep it up!! U're an angel!

kittycate2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats used to fight with Baby. Ever since she became an outdoor cat with them they stopped. Socks hisses if Baby get to rubby. Baby hisses at Milo. Marie hisses at Baby. If you introduce them the slow way they probably will get along just fine.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do worm him please don't use over the counter meds. Talk to your vet and see what he recommends that is the safest, as worming medication is poison.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've never bought over the counter meds for my cats. In fact, I work at a store that has a pet supplies department and I've convinced the department heads to stop carrying Hartz flea drops, collars and the wormer pills.

A lady came in the other day and asked for the flea drops and I had a somewhat lengthy conversation with her about the dangers of them. She told me her cats were her babies, and she'd die if anything happened to them- and then left our store to head to the Vet for some Advantage
Don't tell my boss I did that- he doesn't much care for our business being sent elsewhere

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as a side note- I've named the big guy Xerxes- the name just seems to suit him

I emailed my local SPCA today to see if they'll team up with me to help him out. Fingers crossed...