Saw a black widow spider while playing outside

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in southern california, btw, where it's basically already springtime. Every morning for the last 2 years, I let my cats play outside for about 30 minutes, always supervised, but since I had the day off I let them go out again after sunset, but saw a massive spider near the bushes they play in. Took a picture of it, seeing that unmistakable red hourglass and immediately picked up the cats and tossed them back inside. They didn't play in that particular bush with the spider, however, one of them did play in the bushes near it. I guess I'm just worried there were more, or will be more in the future.

Right now, like 45 minutes since being out, they're both napping peacefully. How soon do spider bite reactions occur? Would it be obvious? Should I go back outside and kill it, or call my apartment manager about it? Lol I'm such a pacifist, especially when it comes to dealing with bugs, I always take them outside instead of squishing them, but I'm just worried about how deadly these guys are. Also, now I'm just worried about taking my cats outside at all. It's their favorite thing to do besides eat, they demand it every morning, I'd hate to make them stay in the tiny apartment all day but I'm just really scared now about what could be out there.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a good parent for your kitties!

Black widows are reclusive, don't go out much. They'd much rather run than fight. They don't strike like snakes.

Black widows are part of life here in California. I've got them in my yard, and the lizards eat them - whole!

Keep an eye out, but don't worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah my apartment has plenty of those lizards too, which my cats love to chase lol. I guess I'll let them take care of the spiders for me. Thanks :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Because it is a toxin, there could be symptoms like pain, incoordination, or stumbling, so just continue to watch. It sounds like your cats were not bitten though.

Yes, it certainly is springtime here.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Black widow spiders don't tend to hang out in the open like doomsdave doomsdave mentioned. You usually find them when you start moving things around. Doesn't mean it can't happen but not the norm. There are spiders that look a lot like Black widows to that have similar red marking so, it may not be a black widow at all. Also, I would think that it would be harder for a spider to get a good bite in due to the fur. Having said that, I would KILL IT!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in southern california, btw, where it's basically already springtime. Every morning for the last 2 years, I let my cats play outside for about 30 minutes, always supervised, but since I had the day off I let them go out again after sunset, but saw a massive spider near the bushes they play in. Took a picture of it, seeing that unmistakable red hourglass and immediately picked up the cats and tossed them back inside. They didn't play in that particular bush with the spider, however, one of them did play in the bushes near it. I guess I'm just worried there were more, or will be more in the future.

Right now, like 45 minutes since being out, they're both napping peacefully. How soon do spider bite reactions occur? Would it be obvious? Should I go back outside and kill it, or call my apartment manager about it? Lol I'm such a pacifist, especially when it comes to dealing with bugs, I always take them outside instead of squishing them, but I'm just worried about how deadly these guys are. Also, now I'm just worried about taking my cats outside at all. It's their favorite thing to do besides eat, they demand it every morning, I'd hate to make them stay in the tiny apartment all day but I'm just really scared now about what could be out there.
You have far far less to fear from a black widow than her mate does!

If you off Da Widda to protect your kitties, no problem. Cats do get curious, alas. Spiders reproduce prodigiously.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had them around a lot when we lived in Colorado. I hate them. When DD was little,she was getting ready for bed one night and DH and I heard her screaming. We ran down and she was pointing into her pajama drawer. DH looked in it and there was a black widow the size of a quarter in there. It was quickly sent back to :devilish:. They were also in our shed and around the backyard. Have I mentioned that I hate them? I dealt with them in the shed. DH had to deal with them in the crawl space. I dealt with them in the yard but when there was a HUGE one in my DD's dresser drawer, it was war. I have a lot of patience for spiders because they do (for the most part) prey on bad bugs but THOSE I have no patience for. DD went to a home daycare center near us and the woman who ran it had a son a little younger than DD. He got bit by one that was in their backyard and ended up in the ER. That easily could have been DD. One of the other kids saw what bit Domonick and that helped the doctors know how to treat the bite.