Saved A Stray Cat And Is Pregnant

Rombiee11

Enjoying the small things
Young Cat
Purraise
We saved a cat that we found outside and she was very sweet and caring. We took her in since I noticed her nipples looked enlarged so I knew she could be pregnant. After a week inside she has had diarrhea and it's think and with a little bit of blood. She also has been discharging but today she has started giving labor is that normal? She also has had only one kitten in about 2 hours is that normal?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'm new to this and thanks for the help

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
How long does it take after giving labor to spay your cat and how old do kittens have to be?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long does it take after giving labor to spay your cat and how old do kittens have to be?
Most vets want to wait for the kittens to be weaned and milk to dry. However, they can be spayed while nursing too. Check with your vet to see which they prefer. Whichever, make sure mom doesn't have access to an unaltered male as she can get pregnant very soon after giving birth.

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
I still don't have a vet for her, we where barely going to take her next week but she started giving birth, and as males around we saved her from outside, we have a male cat but he's neutered and she's in a kennel for safety.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom should be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. She may continue to nurse after her spay, and it is best for kittens to stay with mom for 12-16 weeks. Kittens should be spayed and neutered at 12 weeks.

Make sure mom has plenty of wet food meals and both dry kibble and water 24/7. She needs extra nutrition for nursing.

Keep bedding clean, and give mom some supervised time outside the kennel to stretch and have a break each day. Are you able to give mom and kittens a private room away from other pets? That would be ideal.

Any other questions please ask! :)

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
I only have one other cat and he's afraid of her since she kicked his but last week he's been staying away from her, and as a isolation room no I have her in the living room but she is alone and it's quite we don't have no kids running around or anything. I have the kennel doors open so she can leave and move around and I'm washing towels so she can have something clean and warm. How long does it take for her first batch of kitten to be born? When we found her she was mell nourished but we been giving her both wet and dry food. I'm just scared since she's taking a while to give birth, 2 kittens in like 5 hours but she looks calm and she's resting right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can be hours and sometimes even days between kitten deliveries. She’ll have them when her body is ready! Are the kittens nursing well?

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying my best I'm going to stay up with her and yes I have the towels in the dryer I'm waiting for them so they can be warm for her and her kittens

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
So far the are four kitten and I think there are still like one or two more in there, I put my hand on her hear and she nuzzles it and I gently massage her belly and she lets me.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's been over 8 weeks since your male cat was neutered he shouldn't be able to get her pregnant. Other male cats can. You are
doing really good with the kittens and to keep everyone inside.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed mom cat kitten food, wet and or dry as long as she is nursing. Plus maybe put out a saucer or two of KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) for also. It will help hew with the extra fat and protein she needs for milk production.

Rombiee11

Young Cat
Purraise
The stray cat that I took in had her kittens but it's been four days since her delivery and she is still discharging whitish thickish goo. Is that normal? Can she still have a kitten inside?