Savannah + Stray.. what will their kittens look like?

therealsirpurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male F5 Savannah cat and a female stray (the blonde) we rescued.. I'm wondering what type of cat we think she is and what their kittens will look like (she's pregnant),

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the boy kittens will be red like her. The girls will be torties. Red females can only have red or tortie/calico kittens so it's pretty straightforward :D. And since neither of them have any white the kittens shouldn't either, so no calicos.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

therealsirpurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response. What about the presence of the tabby pattern on the coats? Can/will the males and females have that?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and since both are tabbies the kittens will be also. Probably all of them, but solid is recessive so it's possible to get a solid kitten in a tabby litter if both parents carry the recessive gene. But most likely they'll all be tabbies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are a very attractive couple!  I hope you'll start a thread in the pregnant cats and kitten care forum so we can help as her pregnancy progresses.

Do you plan to spay and neuter after this litter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response. What about the presence of the tabby pattern on the coats? Can/will the males and females have that?
The question is, if they will be spotted tabbies like dad, or striped tabbies like momma.  Ie, which of these strong genes dominates the other.  I myself I dont know for sure.

As he is supposed to be purebred, its not that probable he carries the solid gene and such...  But you never know for 100%.  After all, as I understand it, the savannah are out mated with domestic cats??

Sweet pair!

therealsirpurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again everyone for all your responses/help! I will definitely be posting in the pregnancy thread (I believe they first mated on 12/2 so we're looking at early February kittens.. and yes we will be spay/neutering afterwards).

I can't get over how cute these two are with one another.. They're attached at the hip! Sir Purr (the male Savannah) literally follows Khaleesi (the female domestic short hair... I think) everywhere.

We're new to all of this, but really excited! I wonder if it's possible for the tabbie markings (whether they be spotted or striped) to be dark on the male's red coats?

I also believe that their kittens will technically be F6 Savannahs?

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone for all your responses/help! I will definitely be posting in the pregnancy thread (I believe they first mated on 12/2 so we're looking at early February kittens.. and yes we will be spay/neutering afterwards).

I can't get over how cute these two are with one another.. They're attached at the hip! Sir Purr (the male Savannah) literally follows Khaleesi (the female domestic short hair... I think) everywhere.

We're new to all of this, but really excited! I wonder if it's possible for the tabbie markings (whether they be spotted or striped) to be dark on the male's red coats?

I also believe that their kittens will technically be F6 Savannahs?
We always love more photos!

You may want to go ahead and neuter dad now. He will still be fertile for up to a month after his surgery, and mom can get pregnant within a week of delivery and without going into heat. Timing will work in your favor if you go for it now.

therealsirpurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've attached a couple more pics! He does have a white face (though she does not) so does that mean it's possible we could have some calico kittens?

Also, is it possible for the tabbie markings (whether they be spotted or striped) to be dark on the male red kittens' coats?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not. People have been trying to make a cat who looks like that for a while (look up toyger) but with limited success. I'm sure it's happened once or twice naturally, but there's really almost no chance of it.

Oh, and I think toygers are genetically dark cats who have been bred to have high contrast in their coat coloring. I don't believe there's any way for a genetically red cat to have dark stripes.

Last edited: