Savannah Kitten Is Exhausting. Any Suggestions For Active Toys?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got an F5 Savannah kitten named Red. He's 12 weeks old. I love him to pieces but I physically cannot keep up with him, which is saying a lot considering I am a runner. I put a fitness tracker on him and Thursday alone he managed to rack up 5.8 miles just running around my condo. Not a big deal, but I want to keep him happy. So I'm looking for suggestions for active toys he can wear himself out playing with while I'm at work. I have one of these motion toys and another butterfly toy. Any other suggestions? I need multiple active toys because he gets bored.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know they make exercise wheels for Savannahs. Other than seeing them on Cat from Hell I know nothing about them. Hopefully someone who knows more can give you advise on training to use one and at what age to start.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The best cat toys I have are called birdfeeders. Window perches and extra high cat trees. I leave water dripping in the winter and probably summer now too. My kits love playing in it. Make sure they can't plug the drain my Toad figured out how to do that. Or you might leave a small tub of water.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I know they make exercise wheels for Savannahs. Other than seeing them on Cat from Hell I know nothing about them. Hopefully someone who knows more can give you advise on training to use one and at what age to start.
As soon as I can find one in good condition used or someone who can build one we're getting one. I've also seen old tires recommended as cat scratchers but I don't understand the logistics or if it would be safe for them. We rotate toys too.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Yoshi learned to fetch and inbetween wild play sessions we did that almost continuosly. If the humans were awake he expected play. Is 12 weeks too young for harness walks? I've only had alley cats so not familiar with the bigger breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a one fast wheel! Great idea. I think what I'll do is rig a toy on a pole slightly above it so he has to run fast to get the toy.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hyperactive cats don’t like to quit when they get to a wall. Make sure he has at least one tall cat tree so he can go up. Two would be better would be better or shelving on the wall that he can jump to and across.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a toy rotation at least every week (putting his toys where he can't get them and adding new toys), taking him for daily outside time an hour every day, a bird watching window and as many cat shelves/cat trees as you can install/buy. You need to exhaust him mentally & physically. Have you tried puzzle feeders? Cat tunnels? Don't forget chew toys.

My hyper punk needs to 'hunt' birds from the backyard every day if we want peace in the house. 20-40 sparrows & finches hopping/flying around in our backyard plus 10-20 of those fat slow moving pigeons keeps him happy.... plus hummingbirds.

He is at his hyperest phase right now. Hopefully when he reaches 1 year he will slow down a bit. I wouldn't expect his hyperness to slow down until he is ?10? I'm guessing. Savannah cats are very active breeds.

Meera Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an F5 girl and she is extremely active, gets bored easily, and destroys toys.
She loves playing fetch with a small foam ball (we have like 10 of them rolling around the house). We also got a cat tree which she likes and an outdoor cat tent and tunnel.
We got her a cat wheel as well but so far only our Snowshoe likes it but we’re hoping she’ll take to it so she can burn off some energy.
She’s also particularly fond of a long cat wand that comes with interchangeable toys for the end of the string, adds a bit of variety:)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:camera: Awwwww what a cute belly!!! :happycat:

Have you tried puzzle feeders, making him work for his food or treats?

I'm back to harness training your cat and taking him outside. My hyper punk drove me so crazy I let him in the backyard. The backyard saved me from killing him. It defiantly saved his brother from being constantly jumped on. It took years to train my cat to stay in the yard and constant supervision. That is why I recommend the harness training. (I'm going to be training my punk to wear a harness vest, to make vet visits easier.)

Cats need to be tired out mentally & physically. They are hunting machines (high prey drive.) Savannah cats are even wilder & need to hunt more!