Sautée-ing/frying meat

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just simply won't touch raw meat. Can I sautee or fry it a bit? Because my cat loves fried chicken (not that I feed him that) and I think he'll like sautéed meat. Some nutrition will be destroyed but it's still better than kibble, no?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely it is! ln fact, my cats' regular vets are proponents of a home-cooked diet. 

l feed raw, but for the last couple of decades my parents have augmented their pets' pet food with homecooked and their animals were very healthy until the end (cat 21, dog 17 RIP). I've seen the benefits firsthand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear! What about the storing? Can I keep the sauteed meat in refrigerator for days?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l do. l don't often give mine cooked food, but when l do, it's usually something left over that we don't want to eat after a couple of days so the cats get it. l keep raw in the fridge sometimes for 3 days, so l'm sure lightly cooked meat could be treated the same. You could also cook it and refreeze it in portion-sized baggies as l do with the raw. lt makes their mealtimes easier.

Are you just augmenting their diet, or switching over to homecooked? Do you use calcium and other supplements?

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
l do. l don't often give mine cooked food, but when l do, it's usually something left over that we don't want to eat after a couple of days so the cats get it. l keep raw in the fridge sometimes for 3 days, so l'm sure lightly cooked meat could be treated the same. You could also cook it and refreeze it in portion-sized baggies as l do with the raw. lt makes their mealtimes easier.
Are you just augmenting their diet, or switching over to homecooked? Do you use calcium and other supplements?
I'm planning to switch from kibble to homecooked. And I'll also use supplements of course.

Oh and how about the bone? I'm planning to grind the chicken first then sautée it. Will the bone be safe to eat?

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you read the comments in the thread? I think even though that is an old and in some ways out dated study there are still things to be learned from it but that cats shouldn't be fed a cooked diet isn't one of them. Cooking certainly depletes some nutrients but it doesn't completely destroy them. And, studies have shown that cooked meat is easier with regards to energy expenditure for even obligate carnivores like cats to digest although I don't know of any such study that included cats.  

Here is a link to some tried and proven recipes:

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm
Oh and how about the bone? I'm planning to grind the chicken first then sautée it. Will the bone be safe to eat?
No, you should never feed cooked bone to an animal. Cooking makes the bone hard. Even if ground the bone can have sharp points that when made hard by cooking can increase the risk of them puncturing or at least irritating the GI tract.

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mschauer, thanks for the link, but they don't tell you how to cook it though?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cook it any way you like. If I remember the list of cooking methods in order from best to worst as far as preserving nutrients is:

pressure cooking

roasting

pan frying

boiling 

Boiling is the worst because nutrients are leached out into the water. If you use all the water in making your food you can recapture those nutrients. Same with pan frying. Use the pan drippings in the food.

You can also try just partially cooking the food. Some raw feeders do that to kill some of the bacteria on the surface of the meat. So the outside would be cooked but the inside still raw. Your cat might like it like that. 

Here is a quote from a nutritionist that I got from someplace. I no longer have a link to the source though:
How foods are cooked can have a big impact on its nutrient content. That's because many of its vitamins

are sensitive to heat, and air exposure (in particular - vitamin C, the B vitamins and folate.) And, the
longer the time and the higher the temperature, the worse it becomes. Then, during the cooking process,
the water used for cooking can dissolve and wash away (if the cooking water is tossed out) even more of
those vitamins that are water soluble. Therefore, any cooking that minimizes the time, temperature, and
amount of water needed will help to preserve the nutrients.

Microwave cooking is one of the best ways to preserve nutrients because it needs minimal water, and the
cooking time is very short. Pressure cooking under steam is the next best method because it too minimizes
time, and it requires little water. Other methods that are also good to use for the purpose of maximizing
nutrient retention are steaming with little water, stir frying, or boil in bag.

Because microwaving and pressure cooking are both good ways to hold in nutrients, I suggest you go ahead
and use the method you prefer.

There are a few other tricks you can employ to preserve nutrients. Minimize the surface area of the food
you are to cook so that fewer vitamins are exposed to air where they will be destroyed. That means cutting
vegetables into bigger pieces. Always cover your pot to hold in steam and thus heat, which will help to
reduce cooking time. Use any leftover cooking water for soups, sauces, and stews, or vegetable juice drinks.
Eat fruits and vegetables raw whenever possible, or cook until just crisp tender. Use as little water as
possible when cooking.

The best way to destroy vitamins is to cook your fruits and vegetables in an open pot of boiling water.
Only use that method when you're making a pot of soup and the broth and all will be eaten, and even then,
put a lid on it!

Last edited:

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well OK, but how do I mix the ingredients?

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could put the ingredients through a blender if you wanted a pate style food or feed it chunky style. Which ever you, and more importantly, your cat prefers.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure to remember you can't cook the bone in any way!!!  You might want to just use boneless meat if you are going to cook it, and use eggshell powder or some type of calcium to substitute for the bone.  I currently use Alnutrin....they make one for meat/gone, and another for just meat.  I keep both on hand.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out www.catinfo.org for how Dr. Pierson partially cooks the food, especially for a rather stubborn won't-eat-raw cat of hers. I used to bake mine only enough to kill surface pathogens and then shock it in ice water to stop the cooking process. Maybe that could work for you? Definitely don't cook the bone!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When our cat Casper was ill recently he refused all of his canned food, ,which he usually has no problems eating.  We fed him very lightly pan fried chicken thighs for several days.  All I did was cook the outside of them in a small amount of olive oil (enough so it didn't stick to the pan), and when the outside was just getting white colored, flip it over and do the same to the other side.  I then put a lid on the pan for about a minute, so that heat would penetrate, I didn't think he'd like the interior cold.

I did not, add any flavoring agents at all.

I shredded the meat off the bone - again, cooked bone should not be fed to cats.  He was thrilled and ate it all.  Was just the thing to get his appetite back.

Of course this was done on a limited basis so I didn't have to add supplements.  But as for the cooking method, I think it was a pretty good one as it left the interior relatively raw and sort of what peole say is "mouse" temperature.

Last edited:

dan138zig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check out www.catinfo.org for how Dr. Pierson partially cooks the food, especially for a rather stubborn won't-eat-raw cat of hers. I used to bake mine only enough to kill surface pathogens and then shock it in ice water to stop the cooking process. Maybe that could work for you? Definitely don't cook the bone!
This short bake won't affect the bone?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This short bake won't affect the bone?
No, the idea is to cook the outside but leave the inside, where the bone is, raw. You do have to be careful that you don't over cook and so end up cooking the bone and that there is no exposed bone that might get cooked even if the center is still raw.