SasSea and the traumatic harness incident

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long version, we need to get SasSea ok with the harness again.

Wife / mom and SasSea were outside a year ago. SasSea suddenly was face to face with a baby rabbit. The rabbit fell over and played dead but mom stepped on SasSea's leash real close to her to stop her from bothering the rabbit. SasSea was very very upset. Deep growls and hissing.

It was several hours before she would even let me near her. It was more than a day before mom was allowed the pleasure of her company. After that the sight of the red "H" style harness would put her in angry avoid mode.

We got one of those new mesh with Velcro on top harness for dogs. This worked for one car ride to the vet and now you can't get near her with it. With yesterday's stormy weather I picked up her collar with ID tags that we used to put on her when she was home alone and she left the room.

We like to take SasSea out in the grass and for an occasional car ride that does not include the vet. I don't want to force this on her but she has got to be able to wear a harness for safety and hopefully just enjoy a little fresh grass.

Any ideas?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you when you show SasSea the harness?  Do/did you have a phase for walking in the grass?  I use "Kitty want to go out?" and I stand by the back patio door so there is no doubt where we are going.  Is your mom near when you show her the leash?

With all my misadventures with our cat out on the leash the only time he hesitated was the day after he fell in the pool.  He still went out just stayed away from that side of the yard. 

I wonder if your mom unintentionally hurt SasSea when she stepped on the leash.  Cats remember pain,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for any confusion, not my mom, SasSea's human mom. It was SasSea's 1st real encounter with live prey and I think it triggered her inner instinctive / wild feline. Besides the leash tug maybe hurting a little I think she was also very upset that her human mom would not let her have the baby rabbit.   

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't too confused.  There are a few teen agers on this site.  I don't know, my cat caught a bird once on the leash and we pulled him away.  Now everytime he goes out he wants to try again.