Sasha loves / hates Marlow?

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have two cats. Both are indoor only and formerly feral. Sasha came in at a very young 12wks. Marlow came in three years later when he was just over a year old. They have coexisted for over two years.

The strange behavior: While Marlow is quietly lying in the sun, Sasha will approach him and start licking him. Mostly on the head. Then after doing that for a bit he will just haul off and smack Marlow. Then the chase / fight is on. Sasha considers himself Alpha. Marlow is bigger and stronger. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is actually very normal behavior.  Mine do this to eachother all the time.  I think it is just a way to pick on one another like kids?  Anyway, I say it's normal.  But are they both neutered?  You didn't say.... If not, I would have them neutered asap.  It could help calm this problem before it escalates.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diggerled's boys are neutered. :D

I've noticed several different types of grooming in our multi-cat home. There is the real "friends" grooming - Billy and Chumley - both purring and smiling, and enjoying grooming the other one and being groomed. It always starts with one of them walking up to the other, and putting their head down,often into the other's chest.

The OTHER type of grooming is the "I want that spot you're in" kind of grooming. (Marlow must have found a nice sunshine ray!) This sounds like what you describe. Spooky is our biggest offender. If someone is lying next to Gary (HER daddy!), she hops up on the couch or bed or chair or whatever, and starts licking that one on the head. This is NOT Spooky being nice or sisterly. :lol3: This is Spooky trying to get them to move. If we don't say something to her to stop (yeah, Spooky, we know what you're up to!), or the "offending" kitty doesn't get it and move, Spooky will either do as Sasha does, or bite their ear. :flail: Spooky, however, is decidedly not the alpha kitty here, so if she smacks or bites someone's ear, she'll usually then run off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input. We've guessed (hoped) that they are just boys being boys. And yes, it almost always seems that Sasha wants Marlow's spot. But as with all their interaction, Marlow gets the final say. Marlow lets Sasha be Alpha but I believe he knows he doesn't have to.