Sasha, 3rd vet's a charm?

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to another vet this morning. He had all the right answers. He was a classmate of my wife's in high school 35 yrs ago. She remembered him as very studious and at the top of the class ( at John Castle High School in 1974, a very large class). He is the vet I wrote about in Newburgh, 35 miles away.

He asked me if this or that had been done. Many things that people on this site told me should have been done but weren't. Also some things we haven't discussed here but should have been done.

When I described the situation he said he would only do a perineal urethrostomy as a last resort. He said we should give diet a chance. A PROPER diet. A diet such as prescribed by many of you. He thought the surgery was jumping the gun. Vet; " if he's cathertered now then he is not obstructed. Did the vet put him on an IV to dilute urine and flush his bladder for a day or two?" Answer; "no".

He talked to me for at least 15 minutes. He was in his truck making rounds of the "barns". I met one of his associates at the clinic. She listened to everything I told her, she even asked me to clarify some of things I said. When I made a chronological error she caught it. We had a discussion for about a half hour.

Get this. The struvite crystals that the original vet diagnosed, (the "normal" crystals. Remember them?) They look exactly like oxylate crystals. When I was describing the crystals I saw under the microscope as 'long and pointed like the shape of fence pickets', she stopped me and went and got a book and gave me a 'photo lineup' I ID'ed the oxylate crystals. Bizarre. I did tell her to not take my word for it. To please check for herself.

I was stressed to the max this morning. Retrieving Sasha from the other vet went well but it took alot to make that move. Credit my wife Becky for insisting. Sasha himself seemed to take it all in stride. Wearing the collar and the catheter still in, he even dozed a bit during the long drive up. I really believe he sensed my calmness after I got him out of the vet's office where he had been scheduled for surgery. I was ashamed of the anxiety I displayed to him on the way to the clinic last night. I'm sure he felt my relief after talking to his new vet.

Will it all work out for the best? I hope so. I feel we made the right choice at this point. No matter what happens now I won't look back and second guess myself. Thank you to everyone who helped to educate me and to those who kept prodding me to seek better help. I was slow but until I met these vet's today I didn't know for sure what I was looking for.

PS, they said to call and check on him as much as I wanted. Also to come and visit too, just call ahead.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is excellent news, digger. Sounds like these vets are on the ball. And Sasha will be the beneficiary. I found a vet a like and she is 30 miles away. She is smart as a whip and thorough!! And a bit unorthodox because she is a "thinker" and likes to solve problems. Her first words to me when I brought in one of my cats and we were discussing food issues were: Cats are obligate carnivores!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO glad that you found a vet that obviously seems to know what they're talking about and seem truly concerned.

Hoping for nothing but the best with Sasha!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Digger, Well, this may be the light at the end of the tunnel. My vet also said he does not like to do those operations. He will, but only as a last resort too.

I can feel your stress. It is very familiar!
It is good that he encourages you to come in and visit. My vet did the same thing.

Ok now...we all have our fingers crossed! and many headed your way!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent news, digger! So glad you listened to your wife and went to see the new vet. Sounds like the whole staff takes the time to listen to problems and find the least invasive solution.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to visit Sasha today. He had his catheter removed. He was getting fluid through an IV to facilitate flushing out his bladder. He was not yet urinating on his own but was not blocked. The vet was in surgery while I was there. I decided to wait until tomorrow to discuss Sasha's condition. Got my fingers crossed.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope he'll urinate soon, and that you can control his condition the way your new vet has in mind. Sounds like you made a good decision for your cat. It is so hard to know who to trust to do the best thing for our kitties..

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I try to do is realize that once this crystal problem is over, he may never block again. Yes, he may. But with the right food, he may not. My first crystal cat had the initial flare up, but was ok after treatment.

Just try to keep that in the back of your mind.

We are pulling for you guys!