Same situation. Too many cats

JAX 6701

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
During the COVID shutdown I spent 20 days in the hospital. I was rushed into surgery for a colon block.
A friend said he'd take care of my cats, but he didn’t.
When I came home from the hospital my house had been ransacked by Animal Control from the Humane Society, which he called. What cats they didn't take were left without food and water and no litter boxes.
I've recovered from the surgery but not from the devastation to my house.
Since then, COVID regulations have suspended TNR programs, limited spay and neuter locations and increased costs with local veterinarians.
My financial situation from the surgery and hospitalization for 20 days alone has taken a major toll that I'm still struggling to resolve.
Plain and simple, I have too many cats and not enough energy or resources.
I have worked with my local Humane Society to surrender but they only take the kittens.
Their Spay and Neuter program is limited to one location an hour away. Price per animal is $100.
Local Vets want anywhere of $285 per animal and up.
I've read the posts from this forum and found suggestions that are very helpful; that I will try.
I love my kitties dearly.
What more can I do?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiest WELCOME to TCS J JAX 6701
Let me start by saying I am so sorry you had to go through that.

I'm going to start by asking how many cats do you have?
Also until they get spayed/neutered I would highly recommend that you separate the females from the males. This is to be sure no more kittens are born.

Also if you are trying to rehome some of the adult cats can you call shelters in the next town or even the next state over and see if they have room for them? If so please make sure it is a no kill shelter.

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What part of the country are you located (if comfortable to share)? There may be other rescue groups nearby or even in nearby states who could help with this. -They might not be a full on humane society organization but rescue. It is very wise and kind of you to recognize that you need help and/or might not be able to afford to keep all of your cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Google all local rescues and call them to explain your situation. I recommend not asking immediately that they take your cats, if that is your intention, but that you ask for very low cost spay/neuter services. Often someone knows someone else who can help, so it takes networking.
Feral Friends Network® Connect
You did not say that your cats are ferals, but their origins may have been. Complete this form and see if anyone reaches out to you. They are all volunteers and I have found that some people receive replies and some do not. It could put you in touch with people in your area.