Sam making a funny sound

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just trying to brush Sam. I use a zoom groom, which collects gobs of hair, and he is shedding his undercoat now that the warm weather is here. So he's a big mess. And hates being groomed. Usually, I sit on the top stair, with him lying on the landing, and I bribe him with treats. He growls and hisses, but won't run away as long as the treats last.

Today, I was trying to get in some swipes with the brush while he was walking around. And I heard a funny sound. Then realized it was coming from him. He was purring. While I was brushing. And he would stop purring every so often to meow and try and grab my hand with his mouth (he doesn't bit down, its just playing, but a bit rough), and then continue purring.

I think this is progress.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds great! Zoey meows all the time WHILE she's purring so it makes the cutest purry meows ever

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is my Loki and I also have to follow him a round with Zoom Groom - he won't sit still long enough to be brushed, but all the while he is purring and making squeeky, chirpy sounds. Oh my aching back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's Bailey, I have to follow her around, but she loves it. Sam hates it, that's why the purring was such a shock.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie likes the Zoom Groom, too, but will only consent to short sessions. We keep a couple of them around (one per floor), so that we can catch him when he's in the mood to be brushed. Oddly enough, he'll sit still for a half hour or so to be combed.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My chubby cat Grizzly likes to try to do somersaults when I brush her. I like doing it outside so all the cat hair can blow away!! Birds like it for their nests

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tara goes into ecstasy when I brush her. She wriggles and writhes and purrs her pretty little head off.

yogi&remi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too tend to brush my cats outside just so I don't have to worry about the hair getting everywhere. Yogi loves it however Remi likes it when she is in the mood to be brushed. If she's not...I don't even try!!!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sierra has never enjoyed being brushed, she would always get irritated or run away. Now she loves it!
I started giving her a pinch of her favorite treat~bonito flakes~while I brush her. I scatter them about so it takes her a while to get them all! We brush 2-3 times a day and she looks forward to it!