Salt

Kat002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much Salt is too much? I fed my cats some chicken that was lightly seasoned with salt and pepper(note this was an accident, I didnt make the chicken and didn't know Salt could be toxic). Just wondering if it will make them sick

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I doubt the amount of salt used to season chicken would be enough to harm a cat. In fact, I once read that a 9 pound cat can safely consume the amount of salt that you would find on about 6 Pringle Potato chips! That stuck with me only because of the reference to the chips!! And, while it is not a lot, many canned cat foods (and, probably dry food as well) contain salt.

I am not advocating deliberately feeding cats salt, but tbh, Feeby gets what probably amounts to a couple human bites of bacon a couple of times a week, and bacon is cured in salt. She also eats a bite or two of commercially prepared chicken, fish, steak. All of which I assume contain some degree of salt. It is only given to her in small amounts, and doesn't seem to have ever been an issue.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
And, while it is not a lot, many canned cat foods (and, probably dry food as well) contain salt.
For a bit of context, a cat does need salt in their diet to promote normal cellular and nerve function, much like any other mammal! I won't get into details, but it's related to the function of sodium channels in cells which is necessary for healthy cell metabolism. Historically, cats have gotten salt primarily from organ meat and blood of the animals they prey upon. The recommended values for your average-sized adult cat ranges from 21 to 42 mg per day, with something on the lower end being ideal for most animals.
That said, as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has mentioned, there shouldn't be any harm from a couple bites of salted chicken :>

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only reason you might want to cut down on their salt intake would be if they are on diuretics for heart disease or have kidney disease. But the above posters are correct. Most cat food contains salt if you check the ingredients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I doubt the amount of salt used to season chicken would be enough to harm a cat. In fact, I once read that a 9 pound cat can safely consume the amount of salt that you would find on about 6 Pringle Potato chips! That stuck with me only because of the reference to the chips!! And, while it is not a lot, many canned cat foods (and, probably dry food as well) contain salt.

I am not advocating deliberately feeding cats salt, but tbh, Feeby gets what probably amounts to a couple human bites of bacon a couple of times a week, and bacon is cured in salt. She also eats a bite or two of commercially prepared chicken, fish, steak. All of which I assume contain some degree of salt. It is only given to her in small amounts, and doesn't seem to have ever been an issue.
Thank you!