Salmon Raw Food

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I'm just starting out with raw and my cat seems to really like it. I'm not feeding 100% raw and I'm not sure if I ever will because I really haven't read into it enough, the info about what to feed is overwhelming.

I got just a few different animals to try out, all ground and commerically prepared. Rabbit (she likes this), chicken (haven't tried yet), and salmon. Seemed like a good idea when I ordered because Elfie is crazy about tuna. I don't feed tuna often because I wouldn't eat fish often myself either. The amount of mercury in seafood is just appaling but I don't mind it as an occasional treat; we all gotta live a little... and she loves it.

Anyway, now I got quite a lot of commerically prepared raw salmon and I'm not sure if to even feed this. I would hate for it to go to waste. My question here is: Is it okay to feed this, and if so, how often?

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right about the mercury levels in fish. Salmon has very, very high mercury content... more than most freshwater fish, actually. I'd give it in very minimal amounts. As a topper to her food, or as a treat would probably be ideal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So once a week? Twice a week? I can't just throw all this salmon out. I won't buy it again but I'd like to use this.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So once a week? Twice a week? I can't just throw all this salmon out. I won't buy it again but I'd like to use this.

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably can be given once a day in minimal amounts I'd think

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mercury is a very low concern in Atlantic or farm-raised salmon. The only issues I'm aware of with raw salmon, is that some of them carry a parasite Nanophyetus salmincola. I believe that freezing for 7 days kills that parasite. (I also read that salmon poisoning from this parasite only affects dogs, not cats.)

I don't feed raw fish to my cats or dog, but often feed them one tinned fish meal per week as a treat and for Omega-3 fats. It should be fine once or twice a week.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mercury is a very low concern in Atlantic or farm-raised salmon. The only issues I'm aware of with raw salmon, is that some of them carry a parasite Nanophyetus salmincola. I believe that freezing for 7 days kills that parasite. (I also read that salmon poisoning from this parasite only affects dogs, not cats.)

I don't feed raw fish to my cats or dog, but often feed them one tinned fish meal per week as a treat and for Omega-3 fats. It should be fine once or twice a week.
I have no way of knowing where this fish has been caught or farmed. But that's great to know, thank you! I will try to offer it a few more times but I'm afraid Elfie has already made the decision for me. She wouldn't eat it :disappointed:

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try sprinkling Parmesan cheese on it! That's how I get mine to eat when they are being stubborn
Hmmm I don't eat dairy so I won't be able to, but I did put freeze dried toppers on it. She will eat the raw rabbit without fail (Which is amazing! She seems to like it much more than wet food I'm so grateful to have finally found something she really likes) but the salmon isn't a hit so far. I hate to waste it but oh well! Cats. What can you do.