Salmon oil storage

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that salmon oil is fragile. But I just got my hands on a half gallon of it. While the date isn't until 02/2011 I don't think I will be able to use it up by then. I thought I read somewhere, on a forum, that some freeze their oil. But after multiple searches I have come up with nothing. I may have heard from a local raw friend.

Thoughts on frozen salmon oil

Ok
Questionable
Bad
Dangerous
Idiotic

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You left out "Haven't a clue."

That would be my response. I'm looking forward to what others say.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When mixing up raw food you don't add salmon oil and then freeze it. Instead aren't you supposed to add salmon oil right before you put the food down?

Hmm, really idk. But personally I would not risk the freezing it and it losing most of its nutritional value if what I said above is correct.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

When mixing up raw food you don't add salmon oil and then freeze it. Instead aren't you supposed to add salmon oil right before you put the food down?

Hmm, really idk. But personally I would not risk the freezing it and it losing most of its nutritional value if what I said above is correct.
The recipe I use calls for adding the oil before freezing but now that you mention it I do recall it being suggested to add a little just before serving once or twice a week just in case freezing affects it but without knowing if it is really necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always add oil just before I serve. 1/2gal of salmon oil with 4 cats at a 2:1 ratio equals unused product past the best by date. Even if I throw away half I am still saving money, but thats a waste. So wondering if I can salvage the rest through freezing. Hoping it won't be damaged to much. I vaguely remember something about oil possibly becoming toxic if degraded. Not sure if that was in reference to cooking or freezing. I'm pretty sure it was for cooking.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also add right before serving and have been told numerous times that the oil degrades over time when frozen or exposed to air. For that reason, I always buy the fish oil capsules and then poke and put into food right before serving. That way, I don't have to worry about how quickly I need to use the rest up.

In your situation, I am sure it wouldn't do any harm to use it though. The worst that could happen is that it becomes not as "nutritious" as if it were fresh.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

I also add right before serving and have been told numerous times that the oil degrades over time when frozen or exposed to air. For that reason, I always buy the fish oil capsules and then poke and put into food right before serving. That way, I don't have to worry about how quickly I need to use the rest up.

In your situation, I am sure it wouldn't do any harm to use it though. The worst that could happen is that it becomes not as "nutritious" as if it were fresh.
The above with one twist

Like many rancid things it could harm...

I will buy salmon oil from a trust / thoroughly tested company that uses some sort of stabilizer/ preservative( natural and cat safe)

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I will buy salmon oil from a trust / thoroughly tested company that uses some sort of stabilizer/ preservative( natural and cat safe)
The one I purchased is nitrogen flushed, according to them is supposed to extend shelf life, and added vitamin E to maintain freshness.
http://www.wildalaskansalmonoil.com/

Thanks for all of the replies

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chris10

The one I purchased is nitrogen flushed, according to them is supposed to extend shelf life, and added vitamin E to maintain freshness.
http://www.wildalaskansalmonoil.com/

Thanks for all of the replies
Looks really good except no heavy metal and pcb testing results

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Looks really good except no heavy metal and pcb testing results
Yeah not sure why they wouldn't list anything on their site. I know its a little late but I guess I will shoot them an email and see. The only thing on their bottle is "Alaskan salmon are among the purest of all ocean fish, consistently testing free of hazardous levels of contaminants". Not sure if thats a general statement or an indication that they test.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good to see and the fact they are willing to let the consumer see