Salmon Oil Rec?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a good salmon oil supplement, preferably in a 500 mg. soft gel capsule format, and that's somewhat modestly priced? Oh, say like maybe $25 or less a month. :)

Our new vet feels we were on the right track re: an omega 3 oil for Buddy's chronic skin problems, and wants us to give salmon oil mixed with his canned food another try. Alas, we had to discontinue the freeze-dried green lipped mussel awhile back when Buddy developed an allergy to shellfish, and his skin problems have flared up ever since. :sigh:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is the only salmon oil I've used. They make a fish oil as well with anchovy and sardine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is the only salmon oil I've used. They make a fish oil as well with anchovy and sardine.
Thanks bunches!

Dumb question... :)

Are there any pros or cons health wise of using salmon oil vs. oil from smaller fish such as sardines and anchovies?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been splitting a Nature Made One a Day between my two cats. Short ingredient list, 720mg per capsule, made from small fish.

Fish Oil One Per Day
Thank you! :)

I'm impressed that you can get both of your cats to willingly consume some kind of fish oil. Buddy has been quite a challenge, and Oscar is downright impossible!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.catinfo.com
I have been up for 18 hours and have no way to brain. We're moving. All the cats are weirded out.

Food chain, small fishies, mercury contaminants, stuff

Dr Pierson says it on her site.

Thanks bunches!

Dumb question... :)

Are there any pros or cons health wise of using salmon oil vs. oil from smaller fish such as sardines and anchovies?
:goodluck:

AutumnColors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat has a fish allergy, you need to look label to see if there is ANY protein in the supplement. If it says 99.9% fat, then you should be safe. The problem with oils that use smaller fish is that some of them use the entire fish and that protein content is going to trigger your cat's allergy. We found out the hard way. When our allergic cat's skin started getting dry/flaky, we got some Nordic Naturals omega-3, and even though it lists the content as 99.4% fat + 0.1% moisture (leaving 0.5% unidentified), THAT triggered her fish protein allergy. So we're sticking to salmon oil for now. Presently, we're using Nature's Logic Salmon Oil.

We have a problem with one rescue cat (a stray who had obviously been someone's pet) with "food insecurity" issues who will eat everything put in front of her, no matter how much and then will try to eat the other cat's food ... resulting in vomiting. So we have to feed a small serving 4 times a day and I remove each cat's plate when they're done. In our case, I never used the separate pump that was enclosed, just kept the cap. I use a dropper with the oil instead and only put a couple of drops in each serving of wet food. That way, no one gets overloaded with oil after some of the food gets put back in the can for next meal. It's only been about a week with this brand of oil and not only is it helping her coat, but she's been having fewer problems climbing stairs and getting up to high places. We thought it was her age, but must be inflammation that being helped with the oil as well.

Whatever brand you choose, buy it locally during the summer. Don't order it online. Even if you're home when the package arrives, a lot of the trucks have no A/C in them (I know because I live with a FedEx employee).

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just mix it with their wet food and they don't seem to notice
That's awesome! :)

I can sneak some things into our cats' food without them noticing. Alas, omega-3 oils aren't one of them. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.catinfo.com
I have been up for 18 hours and have no way to brain. We're moving. All the cats are weirded out.

Food chain, small fishies, mercury contaminants, stuff

Dr Pierson says it on her site.

:goodluck:
Ah, okay. Thanks!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat has a fish allergy, you need to look label to see if there is ANY protein in the supplement. If it says 99.9% fat, then you should be safe. The problem with oils that use smaller fish is that some of them use the entire fish and that protein content is going to trigger your cat's allergy. We found out the hard way. When our allergic cat's skin started getting dry/flaky, we got some Nordic Naturals omega-3, and even though it lists the content as 99.4% fat + 0.1% moisture (leaving 0.5% unidentified), THAT triggered her fish protein allergy. So we're sticking to salmon oil for now. Presently, we're using Nature's Logic Salmon Oil.

We have a problem with one rescue cat (a stray who had obviously been someone's pet) with "food insecurity" issues who will eat everything put in front of her, no matter how much and then will try to eat the other cat's food ... resulting in vomiting. So we have to feed a small serving 4 times a day and I remove each cat's plate when they're done. In our case, I never used the separate pump that was enclosed, just kept the cap. I use a dropper with the oil instead and only put a couple of drops in each serving of wet food. That way, no one gets overloaded with oil after some of the food gets put back in the can for next meal. It's only been about a week with this brand of oil and not only is it helping her coat, but she's been having fewer problems climbing stairs and getting up to high places. We thought it was her age, but must be inflammation that being helped with the oil as well.

Whatever brand you choose, buy it locally during the summer. Don't order it online. Even if you're home when the package arrives, a lot of the trucks have no A/C in them (I know because I live with a FedEx employee).
That's most helpful info. Thanks oodles!

Buddy isn't allergic to fish, but we don't feed it to him anymore because of his history of urinary tract problems. However, we were told that omega-3 oils would be perfectly safe for him.

And I totally know what you mean about not buying stuff like this online during the summer! We live in Texas, where it's insanely hot and humid. So much for the instructions not to store at temperatures exceeding 77 degrees! :lol: