Safety Of My Stray

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stray kitten within my compound - no longer on good terms with mother cat and has no siblings. Therefore when an outsider male cat comes around, she follows him around and he took her out to the streets. I'm worried for her safety with cars around.

I wanted to make her an indoor cat but her high energy now is not suitable for the indoors, maybe when she's calmer and a little more passive. I tried to make her get used to playing and hanging in her cage but she is more interested in roaming. Constantly need someone to play and entertain her, else she'll run out to the roads.

I even thought of putting some repellent something so that the male cat does not come around to bring her out, she used to only play right outside the house- now she's running down the roads.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? That would be my first thought on keeping her close. Even high energy kitties will calm down. If you can take her indoors then please do so. I think that as she gets a little older and gets some snuggle and love time indoors with you then you will see a big change in her. Being outside would make her much more alertabd active because she has to be to survive. Following the male serves more than one purpose for her. A mate, companionship and a protector. If she is a kitty you really want to keep close then the best way is spaying and making her your kitty. I think it’s great that you are working with her. I don’t think the male will stay away regardless of using repellent. He is driven to be with her for the same reasons she is following him. It would be helpful if you could neuter the male as well. The less kitties wandering and mating the better. Their lives will be much longer and better if you can help them.
I’m very glad you posted about them. This is a great place to find information and assistance. Welcome!:welcomesign: Please keep us posted about the kitties. You’re awesome for caring! :rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's about 3 months now, my vet says to bring her in for spaying at 5 months. She just had her deworm shot and possibly vaccine coming up end of April.

Her pregnant mom is being abusive towards her, the male is the father. I usually chase him away when he's in my compound but kitten always goes to him.

My hall is divided into two sections, I usually let her supervised in the other side to play with the curtain and drag some strings and bell with her for a bit with barricade to the other side. She's all claws and teeth now, hard to snuggle without getting marks.

If she's more grown up and less hyper, I would get her a cat tree in one corner and let her laze there.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know she’s a bit hard to snuggle right now. That’s all part of being a kitten with no human to teach them for the most part. The more she is around you the easier it will be to handle her. They are all very playful at that age. She can also get pregnant very soon. If you don’t confine her then you will probably end up with her pregnant or wandering off with the male. The Mom knows she can soon come into heat too. You seem to already love this kitty so I strongly suggest you go ahead and bring her in. By the time the vet is willing to Spay her she should be much calmer and then you can keep her quieter as she heals. After that everything will be much calmer. She’ll still be a sweet and playful kitten but easier to deal with. Any of the kitties that don’t get spayed or neutered are at high risk for mating or a much shorter lifespan. She sounds darling. I hope you can get her in and on a cat tree very soon. Have you given her a name yet? Calling her by name is a good thing to start now. They learn very quickly and if you can’t find her then it would be good if you can call to her.

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well her registered name at the vet is Biby lol but I used a bell or her food container to get her here. Can I fence up an area in the house for her? Like just an area for her to roam. The house has too many things where she can get stuck and get into trouble with.

I was afraid of her being pregnant as well since she's following the male cat so closely. I tried confining her in the cage for some time but she whines and cries. I don't dare push it as I fear she won't come back if she fears us human and the impending cage.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhhh! She is beautiful! I love her name! You can fence off part of your house or shut her into part of it. She probably cries in the cage because she is really still a bit of a baby. She needs to be close to a Mommy figure which is now you. Even if you have to shut her in a cage for a few weeks you are helping her to keep from getting hurt, killed or pregnant. You can help the crying by talking to her and putting a soft pillow or toy for her to cuddle. Just make sure the soft toy doesn’t have little parts she can pull off and swallow. All babies cry some when the Mom pushes them away but they grow out of that. They cry from loneliness, hunger or if they don’t feel good. If you make sure all of those things are handled then she will be okay. She will quickly learn that you will give her attention. She would probably love to sleep in the room with you if you can manage that. She will make a loving and lifelong companion for you if you keep her in. I love her just from seeing her picture!

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know! I can just cry by looking at her little face. I always told her she has a pretty face that all the boy cats sure liked her in the neighbourhood.

I was also afraid of abduction because of how cute she is. I tried to play with her in the cage but once I'm tired and went in the house, she lost interest and walked off. We made her a soft toy for her to bite and practice her bunny kicks.

She's gonna get her first dry shampoo bath this weekend. I'm trying to tire her out so I played a lot with her but she's so full of energy the whole time, it's hard to keep her entertained.

It's normal for her to cry in the cage? I feel so sad when she does that. When her mom comes around for food, she still tries to pounce on mom for play or she still tries to nurse. Mom in turn hiss at her and last night, pushed her face to the ground yet she still goes after mom.. She must be darn confused..

Her mom had such different attitude to her. Once she was so loving to Biby, brought her food and served her first, groomed her and cuddle her to sleep.

My last resort would be to find somewhere and rehome her

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal for her to cry but it means she wants something. It’s very similar to a human toddler. I know you feel bad when she cries but if she has food, health, safety and love then she is okay. When you close her in the cage is she outside? If she can be inside and safe then she will get used to being shut in. You obviously love her. Can you shut her in the house? A bathroom maybe? If you know you cannot keep her safe then finding her another home might be best. When we love them we want them to have the best life we can give them.
I love the new picture of her. She really is beautiful. Her tail is kind of fluffy too. She has the most adorable face. She may be learning that she cannot nurse Mommy anymore but she has to do that. She is also learning of your love for her. It shows in her face. She looks at you with love in the picture. You are doing a very good thing in helping her.:heartshape::winkcat:

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm should I try bringing the cage inside the house, entice her to go in the cage and lock her in? She cries because she's used to running around the house compound, you can't see her cause she goes lightning speed.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can’t just bring her into a room and need to use the cage then I would. You need to keep her from the male, at least until you can get her spayed. I think you will be able to teach her to get used to the house pretty quickly and won’t need to keep her contained once she is used to being a strictly indoors cat and is spayed. Let me know how things go.

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let her in the house within a compound and let her play around. I played a little with her and let her explore toys on her own. Within 15 minutes, she was whining to go out again.

I refused and kept her in longer as I heard the male cat was calling outside. I went out to chase him away with water.
In the end she kept whining non stop and I let her out (unsure if this hostage experience will deter her from coming in again in the future)

Mama cat always hangs around and I have no choice but to spray water on her to go away as she swat and hiss at kitten.

I need to bring her in asap.. Abusive mom, potential mate, the road.. All these are dangers!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other cats are only acting as nature intends. They are not being cruel but the Mom is teaching her to stop nursing. The male is like any male and wants to mate. Spraying water on them won’t help. Only keeping her in. Once she is spayed the male will stop. Once she is weaned, the Mom will stop. It will all be okay if you keep her. She will whine but once spayed she will stop worrying about mating. The hormones make her want to go out. Just try to be patient with her as you would a child.

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm she went to the vet today to get deworm and applied flea ointment. Tried cage training her the past few days but she kept crying. Today brought her cage indoor and put her in, she whined a little and went to sleep (she didn't nap in the evening today-- too much indoor roaming excitement)

I hope she's okay. I'll let her roam in the daytime, figuring out how to kitten proof a section of my hall for her.