Safe Wax Melts To Use Around Cats

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here recently I've been trying to convert from things that could be toxic to cats like your standard Febreeze air freshener, to safer things like using natural wax melts in a wax warmer. Now of course my mom is still using paraffin wax in her wax warmer, but I'm trying my best to convert her as well. Ive thrown away my air fresheners and paraffin candles (and all candles really, I don't want Gizmo to end up getting burned by a flame), and the best thing I've found so far in stores were Burts Bees soy wax melts. I'm sure they have essential oils in them since they're going for natural, problem is I don't know which essential oils are in them and if they're high in phenols. So I'll be taking those out of the equation eventually as well. My plan right now is to make my own melts for my wax warmer that consist of coconut oil, rose petal hydrosol and possibly beeswax. I figure beeswax wouldn't really be needed since coconut oil can melt and harden back on its own. But, I just want to make sure rose petal hydrosol would be safe to have in a wax warmer around my cat. Using rose petal hydrosol in an ultrasonic diffuser is also something that interests me, but it would be a mist going into the air that could get on his fur and I'm not sure if it's safe for him to consume.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just don't know. We finally gave up on having any scents around the house because I don't want to take any chances. I love your idea of making your own though. I did find this article, but, really, you can find anything on the internet, it's whether or not you can believe the articles :dunno:: Aromatherapy For Cats | Care2 Healthy Living

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just don't know. We finally gave up on having any scents around the house because I don't want to take any chances. I love your idea of making your own though. I did find this article, but, really, you can find anything on the internet, it's whether or not you can believe the articles :dunno:: Aromatherapy For Cats | Care2 Healthy Living
Most natural diy wax melts have essential oils in them, so that's why I'm going to make my own. I know some essential oils are safe for cats but it's just not worth taking the risk like you said. As far as I know roses aren't toxic to cats so this is the best I could find. I haven't been able to find anything on whether or not specifically rose petal hydrosol is safe for cats or not. I do know hydrosols are much safer than eo's though.