Safe To Bathe Cat Who Was Neutered Yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet, beautiful boy! He's obviously quite enamored of you. :hearthrob:

First - a quick answer on a bath. Every vet/clinic/etc I've ever seen says no getting the incision wet for 14 days.

I didn't see an answer to @Furballsmom as to whether he's eating or drinking anything at all. It sounds like the steam is helping him breathe, and often when kitties can't breathe well they don't want to eat either (like people - scent helps the drive to eat). If he hasn't eaten or been drinking - I would definitely be even more concerned about that then him not being clean (although cats often don't drink or eat too much for the first 24-36 hours post-surgery - -but most vets will say if they're not eating by day 3 - - -they need to be seen). BUT - - often it all ties together. It sounds like you definitely know kitties - so I'm sure you know how clean they usually like to be, and often if they're NOT cleaning themselves, it indicates something's not right health-wise. Have you monitored his food and water to know what's going in - - and the litterbox to know if anything's coming out? Since obviously you can handle him and really feel around - - does he feel dehydrated (do you know how to check? Here's a youtube video that shows how: )? If he IS dehydrated - even though it sounds like you may be a bit of a drive to get him somewhere (and it sounds like probably another vet other then the one at that clinic - - -who didn't seem overly helpful!) to be checked over - - I wouldn't mess with that for long.

If he's eating, drinking, and starting to act better and clean himself, it could have just been a reaction to the stress of the drive, the pre-surgery handling, etc etc. And - like most everyone above - I wouldn't recommend soap at all at this point. I think cleaning him up is a wonderful idea - - I often find (again - like people) cats will perk up just because they finally feel clean. But I'd only use a washcloth that's damp - not soaked - with warm water. And make sure he stays warm after he's been cleaned - - I'd sit in a bathroom with him and a space heater for awhile if possible (I never leave a cat alone in a room with a space heater). It's possible you can use a hair dryer on VERY low heat and low speed (and use a diffuser if you have one) - - but often hair dryer's are SO terrifying for cats, which is the last thing the sweetie needs. I also use Petkin Bamboo Eco Pet Wipes on ours when need be - - they're very gentle (and even Walmart carries them). They're like a baby wipe - not super wet, so he won't chill. I even warm them slightly in the microwave on SUPER low particularly if I'm using them on kittens.

And most of all - trust your senses. If he doesn't seem better, or even seems worse, and you just have "that feeling" -- get him in somewhere. I've learned to trust my "spidey senses" on this kind of stuff. So I hope he feels better - I'm so glad he has you to care for him (and care for his world in general in that he won't be making babies - - -or fighting for territory/females/all the "good stuff" that comes with unneutered male kitties!) and love him and make sure he's ok. So few people are willing to go through that much love, care and effort for what they'd call "just a stray cat." Obviously he's more than that to you -- - and it looks like the feeling's vice versa :) Keep us posted!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you describe the breathing issue he is having? If it's an upper respiratory infection, there will be sneezing and nasal sounds and possibly discharge from the eyes. There may also be a fever. If it's asthma, he will have occasional little fits of a wheezy coughing that last about 30 seconds, but no other symptoms. When I had a cat with asthma, he needed to get a steroid shot every four or five months, and that effectively managed his symptoms. At any rate, I hope you can get him to your regular vet on Monday to get checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure its my phone or the site but when I try to type its lagging(best way I can describe it). It's taking 20× longer than normal to type so it may take longer for me to reply.

So it seemed like his breathing was improving the last few days up until an hour ago. So I tried to see if taking him in the bathroom with the steam from the shower would help and after 10 minutes it had not at all. So brought him back in the room and his breathing was a lot better.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to record a video of him and see if I can upload it or upload to YouTube and share the link

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he has a little bit of congestion. Did you take him to a vet or talk to the vet who last examined him? In my experience, if an upper respiratory infection doesn't clear on its own after about three or four weeks, the cat needs an antibiotic. Is he sneezing? Is there any nasal or eye discharge? These are all signs of a URI. He could also have environmental allergies. One of my cats seems to have this, and has some congestion and occasional sneezing. The only way to get a definitive answer though is to talk to a vet.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet who neutered him is no help at all. He hasn't been sneezing at all and no nasal discharge. I did noticed he had little dark colored crust/boogers in the corner of his eyes though.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
He most likely had FIP. The wet form. His last 24 hours were horrible. He passed away in my arms at the vet . We named him Bernard Tod. Couldn't decide on one name so we gave him two names.
20180401_193242.jpg

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for Bernard Tod. It was a blessing that his last days were in the hands of someone who cared for him and loved him. I'm sure he appreciated all the help you gave him. :alright:

:grouphug2:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO sorry for both you and both Bernard Tod. Despite all of that he went thru --his life, once you came into it, improved enormously. He obviously felt far better than he would have had you not been there ---you gave him SO much love! And I when I watched the first video of him doing his "loud purring & wriggling & flipping around for primo scratching & loving positions" said to me that, luckily in his case (wet FIP can be SO awful for these little guys - and can make them so miserable!---but he was SO happy in those videos!) that he was SO loved until the very last second - & that means that he suffered SO very very little...all because of you. I hope that can remember - when the sharp immediate "what did I do wrong??" goes thru your head ---- That YOU made his short life a very, very loving, wonderful one!!!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this danni88 danni88 He was such a sweet boy and he was obviously very happy to be with you. It's a shame the first vet didn't take the time to examine him properly, but at that stage I guess there was very little that could have been done.

We always lock the threads when someone loses a cat, so I'll lock this one now.

If you would like to start a thread in our Crossing the Bridge please do so.

RIP Bernard Tod.

:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.