"safe Room", Traveling, And A Kitten

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

New member here.

I have a 6 month old kitten, who is social and playful and all things lovely. When I first got her a couple months ago I designated the bedroom and attached bathroom (of a 1-bedroom apartment) as her 'safe room' to be in while I'm at work and out of the house. Her food and litter are in the bathroom. When I'm home she roams free in the apartment with me.

I'm about to go out of town for my first long trip (12 days) and have hired a professional cat sitter to come check in on her and play with her daily. Since I've had her, I've had some shorter trips away, where I had her stay in the bedroom/bathroom suite except when the sitter was around. But because this is a longer trip, I'm worrying/wondering if I should give her access to the full apartment while I'm gone. But I'm also worried about changing her routine when I'm away for a longer stretch.

The plan has never been for her to always be in the bedroom/bathroom suite when I'm home. I just had not yet had the chance to transition yet.

The bedroom and bathroom are by no means small (they are more than half the entire apartment), but I am worried about her feeling 'locked up' for so many days. On the flip side, since she is comfortable and happy and used to being in her 'safe room suite' when no one is home, perhaps now is not the time to change the routine?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't always take well to change. They can get extremely stressed by it. I would split the change up and not all at once. Better you be around for as much change as possible opposed to a stranger. Then again that is my cats, you would no your cat better than I do.