Sadie Thinks No One Should Move Fast?

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi guys, I’m hoping someone else has experienced this before and maybe even found something that helps.

Whenever anyone moves to fast (I think that’s the cause) Sadie seems to get aggressive. At first I thought she was being protective since it first started showing up when the lab would get hyper (the lab is 105 pounds, the small dog is old and doesn’t move fast if he can help it). I know given his size the first reaction is to say she was scared for herself with this giant jumping around, however what usually happens is she will come running from other places in the house so she was in no danger. She will also attack me (and show aggressive body language) if I try to do aerobics in her sight so it’s pretty clear she isn’t try to protect. For the record she will also attack the lab when he gets in after swimming in the pool, though I figured out that was because he smelled different.

I’m not really sure what to do about this, or even if I should to be honest and just try to keep her away from situations that would set her off. Of course I have to keep the dog safe, but he doesn’t go into hyper mode that often unless we bring out the laser pointer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there another posting on this I missed? If so I’m sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's called "play aggression." She's hunting. For cats, all play involve aggression to some extent, as their play is driven by the instinct to hunt/catch/kill. However, she can be redirected to more appropriate outlets! This article will help:

How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Playing with her with a wand-type toy several times a day HARD (you want her panting and lying there) will help a LOT with this, and it keeps your body parts out of the line of fire!

You are certainly not alone with this! It is a frequently asked question, and NO, we don't mind answering it again! That's what we are here for!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow thank you, I wouldn’t have thought she was playing. She always seems to give a vocal warning then attacks rather we stop or not. I guess I better try to lure her into more play time

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was the "moving fast" that gave it away. It is triggering her hunting instinct, I'm 99% sure of that!

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both, this is a huge help.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for! And if the extra playtime doesn't do the trick, YELL! We'll think of something else to try!

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what we're here for! And if the extra playtime doesn't do the trick, YELL! We'll think of something else to try!
Actually my biggest problem is getting her to play, as odd as that sounds. Sadie is 14ish we think, and when I try to use a wand toy with her she tends to flop on her back and bat a little at it when it comes near her or just watch it lazily. She does like “da bird” sometimes but honestly I have a problem playing with her with that one. It tends to need more space then my rooms have and if I go into main living area the lab thinks it’s the best thing in the world and starts running and jumping
....which of course makes her attack him . For the record I’m very glad she is a indoor cat if she thinks it’s a good idea to attack 105 pound dogs, most aren’t as understanding as Loki.

There is one game she loves that her first owners taught her. She likes to play fetch with twist ties. My problem is I am always worried about the wire in them. I’ve tried those spring toys instead and other fetch mouses but she won’t touch them. Honestly I usually give in and play with the ties at least a few times every now and again....

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try Da Bird's "ground prey" option. That one you just run along the floor. But...BE THE PREY. Think like it, move like it...if it is a mouse, trundle, and skitter, and hide under things then pop out. Bugs tend to jump. And cats know how their "prey" should move. Often, if it isn't moving as it would in nature, they just don't go for it. Just a thought.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try Da Bird's "ground prey" option. That one you just run along the floor. But...BE THE PREY. Think like it, move like it...if it is a mouse, trundle, and skitter, and hide under things then pop out. Bugs tend to jump. And cats know how their "prey" should move. Often, if it isn't moving as it would in nature, they just don't go for it. Just a thought.
Ooh that’s a great idea! Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is far more into the "mouse" than the "birds." She's a ground hunter, for sure. You're girl may be the same, especially as she goes for fast-moving feet and such! Let me know how it works.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My long ribbon tail wand toy thingie "fights" back by lightly tapping my punk's belly, chest or a paw with the part of the wand that holds the ribbon to the stick. (Very lightly tapping, more of a ahha I got you then anything else.) Still it only "fights" back a few times and he ALWAYS wins ... plus I like giving him a kickaroo to really "kill". Also a feather wand toy is boring but dragging it slowly under a blanket to hide? Magic! Plus he can kick & bite the blanket. Also my punk likes fetching hair rubber bands but you can find a small toy for your cat to fetch. I get my punk to follow the wand up & down the stairs sometimes just for a change of scenery. I rotate my toys so new ones appear every week and the wand toys? I have 10 or so. *shrugs* Every month I buy 2-5 toys and it kinda adds up after a while.

One of my Aunts taught her cats how to play tag.

If your cat is extremely lazy you can buy some beef or chicken (meat only) baby food, then put some on a spoon and start clicker training your cat to work through an obstacle course.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for the ideas, I’m having a bit better luck with the ground prey idea and I’m going to go out this weekend to find her a new ground prey toy (right now I’m just trying to make da bird work as one)