Saddle Thrombus / Feline Aortic Thromboembolism / FATE

nightowls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have experience with Saddle Thrombus / Feline Aortic Thromboembolism / FATE?

Have done a little Google reading already - looking to hear about first hand accounts.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We never got an official diagnosis, but we believe that my very first cat likely had a Saddle Thrombus, which led to his euthanasia. He had been mostly fine - some throwing up but he was also at least 22 years old. My mom woke up one morning to find him completely collapsed, couldn't walk, wouldn't hold his own body up. If you picked him up, he didn't meow or scream, but he would go limp in your arms like a wet dishrag. We took him straight to the vet, who said that she could give him fluids and pursue testing, but that with his age being what it was, it wasn't the best idea to put him through stressful procedures and we ended up opting for euthanasia instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightowls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Gracie - who has a tentative diagnosis of Saddle Thromus - is 7.

On 12/13 morning we noticed she was having difficulty moving (looked to be her back right leg) and was in pain (seemed to be specifically when she getting up or laying down). I thought she may have hurt her leg (her nickname is Graceless) or had a bad UTI (she had no prior history with UTI but have had other cats with UTIs).

We were able to find a vet open on a Sunday, they did x-ray (looked good) and said the issue seemed to be with her hip - they figured she fell/strained it and gave anti inflammatory (a shot and pill for 3 days).

Her condition did not improve. She spent most of 12/20 night wandering the house, trying to find a comfortable spot (still in pain when getting up; she usually stays in one part of the house; does not like the other animals). She also was visiting the litter box a lot without going.

We took her back to the vet 12/21. They took some more x-rays - orthopedical looks good and do not appear to be any blockages. They said her heart does appear to be enlarged (she has a cardiogram scheduled for Wednesday 12/23). Getting blood-work done. They said one of her back legs feels cold ** interestingly enough, on her 12/13 visit they gave her a nail trim and did not notice any coldness. ** so they are leaning towards stroke - saddle thrombus.

They gave her some Buprenex - for pain - until testing is complete.

So I am now on research mode.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear that you're Gracie is going through that - Hopefully, they can give you a definitive diagnosis and a treatment plan to help her find some comfort.

Bird

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6-year old cat had saddle thrombus a few weeks ago, so I have been reading everything possible on this topic, and now, here I am reading all the posts in this forum. Mojo had no symptoms of heart disease prior to the blood clot. We thought she was a healthy cat. One night, she vomited up her dinner in multiple places around the house. I followed her while this was happening, and noticed her breathing rate was rapid. She even opened her mouth briefly. Then she rolled onto her side, and seemed unable to get up. I tried to stand her up, and she just rolled again. It appeared something was wrong with one or both back legs--loss of control, paralysis in the back legs. We rushed her to the ER immediately, where we received a diagnosis of saddle thrombus - blood clot caused by HCM. We were given a very grim prognosis, and the option of euthanasia. We were told by the ER vet that only about 30% of cats recovered and recurrence of another blood clot was likely. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I told them to treat her. She was hospitalized for two days, receiving oxygen, blood thinner, pain killer. During that two days, she regained control of and use of her legs! Apparently the left leg was worse than the right. But the prognosis the cardiac vet gave me was still grim and poor. Mojo has HCM - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and early-stage CHF - congestive heart failure. Mojo was able to go home fully mobile, able to walk and jump, with only some minor weakness in her left leg. Two weeks later, I would have a hard time telling anything was wrong with Mojo, as she returned to most of her normal behaviors and regular mobility. But of course the grim diagnosis stands and I was informed that Mojo will not live long. The cardiac vet her gave 6 - 12 months. Well, I am going to do my best for her, and try to give her the best life I can. The numerous medications are a bit overwhelming, and she hates being pilled. (Emotionally, I am a mess.) About 5 days before the saddle thrombus, Mojo had her annual vet exam and she was very freaked out about it. I am convinced that the stress of the routine vet visit actually brought on the saddle thrombus.

Bird

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I forgot to mention the medications in my earlier post. Upon discharge from the hospital, Mojo was put on clopidogrel, furosemide, pimobendan. Two weeks later, after having her renal values checked and good, the cardiac vet added a fourth medication, enalapril.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Saddle Thrombus. Called " a pet owners worse nightmare" and for good reason. I lost my precious baby , Bella on 7/28/21 to this dreaded condition. I knew immediately what it was ... because my brother lost his sweet baby , Angel , to this same thing a year ago ! what are the odds of that ? horrible ! Angel was only 8 , thin , healthy , energetic little tuxedo girl . One day she attempted to jump up on his bed and didn't make it. she landed on the floor, wailing. He said she tried again, and he realized , she had lost the use of both her hind legs ! he put her in box, rushed her to the vet. She was euthanized. the shock was horrible for him. He was told : the clot had paralyzed her ; she was in terrible agony, and SOMETHING caused it. even if they did pull her thru it, chances of it happening again is high, as there usually an underlying condition ( heart issue, cancer, thyroid) as healthy cats dont usually have blood clots. usually they endure a few days of misery , intensive treatment and die anyway. He did NOT want her to suffer. the vet said outright if it was his cat, that is what he would do. So my brother did. It killed him to do it. He loved her, and to this day he can barely talk about it. Fast forward a year ... my husband calls me at work and tells me our kitty is wailing in pain and dragging one leg behind her, lost all use of it. I rushed home , grabbed her. off to the vet. Got same diagnosis, and she was euthanized as well. Our kitty was 13 , overweight and has had health issues most of her life. has been on meds for years for different conditions and was seen by the vet just a month ago for constipation. No indication in either case of anything that would cause blood clots . Angel rarely went to vet; Bella was there often for different reasons. they knew us well. both cats were sweet and loving. both cats BIT us when we picked them up to get them to vet , as they were in pain and afraid. neither of them had ever bitten anyone before that day. both Angel and Bella were rescues from a local shelter. they had nothing in common, except the same dreadful ending. We are thankful that we had the means , transportation and access to a vet to get them there quickly when the crisis arose . both times. Esp. Angel as hers happened in March 2020 ..height of pandemic ! our vet office is so very good, and we trust them. My brother is against getting another kitty. He was so traumatized. I am going to open my home to another. we loved Bella for 13 years , and miss her. We loved Snowball for 17 years before her. We know loving a new kitty never erases the love we have for the one before them.