Sad Situation - Please Help

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A bit over a year ago I bought a Siberian cat. I'm highly allergic to cats, so adopting wasn't an option. He is our first cat. I researched a lot about owning a cat and cat personalities for years, until the time was right.
He is very loving. However, at times, he snaps. I don't attribute it to real aggression, in reality I think it's play aggression (at least I hope it is). He tends to bite a lot. And I mean bite HARD. Let's say I grab something. He will lunge himself on my arm, bite, kick, and scratch it. To the point of bleeding. I tell him no, I've heard to push your arm more towards him to let go. He will not let go. I have to scream. He does the same thing to my mother. If he doesn't like something, he will scratch.
One time I picked him up to move him around, and he scratched my face. I'd like to think it was an accident. However I had to wear a bandage because it was a huge open wound.
It hurts me that we love him so much, give him so much attention, feed him, play with him often, yet he acts like this.
Now, it was "the last straw..."
My mother was laying down on her tablet, in her room, when suddenly my cat ran across the hallway into the room, scratched her face and ran away. My mother had a puncture from the claws, and about 3 deep scratches in her face. Her face was bleeding.
My mother recently had eye surgery that gave her her vision back. She was almost completely blind. We are very concerned that one day he will scratch her eye. The doctor said that if her eyes are very delicate, and any trauma could cause a permanent loss of vision. Before the surgery, he almost scratched her eye once, he actually touched her eye, but she was wearing a hard contact lens so instead he just moved the lens.

I love him so much, we all do, but why can't we trust him. I'm scared one day he will scratch her eye, she will go blind, and I will live with the guilt that my cat stole my mother's vision once again. I'm not sure what to do about him. When I bought him, the breeder said that if one day we have to get rid of him to please return him to her. He brings us so much joy, but also the stress of being attacked is horrible. He has lunged towards guests and made them bleed before as well. I don't know what to do and if we should just rid of him. It would hurt so much though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Have you had a chance to talk to the breeder?

Could you try claw caps? There are cat muzzles too, these can't be left on for long periods of time but could be a possibility for training, along with clicker training maybe?

What about utilizing a harness for training as well, to stop the lunging?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not unusual for cats to play attack and lightly bite their owners but it is unusual that he is attacking to the point of creating the injuries you describe or that a cat would suddenly leap and scratch. I would contact your breeder and ask for their guidance in what else you can do. Perhaps they can take the cat and observe its behavior to see if it is correctable or not.

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would guess that just as with dog breeders, there are questionable breeders of cats as well. This doesn't sound like the disposition of the Siberian cat.

Is the cat neutered? Has it had a check up recently including the mouth and teeth?