Sad News

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On 1st October 2023 our beloved half-Bengal, Harley crossed the Rainbow Bridge. He leaves behind his brother Benji.

He was 18 years old.

As many of you know, Harley had some health problems earlier this year with Hyphema in his right eye and also a severe ear infection on the same side. We saw three vets and it was the third vet who made the connection that the ear infection and the eye were probably related. I personally suspected that there may have been a tumour there and earlier this week we noticed a small growth on his tear duct again on the right side.

Over several weeks Harley went downhill, losing a lot of weight but was still his indominable self, demanding food, giving his cat-chat - you could not ignore him. He loved to tell us about his day and loved to be loved on and boy, did he love back.

Gradually over the past week or so he was sleeping more and more. He also couldn't make it to the litter box so we had to put puppy pads on the floor. He'd stopped grooming himself so his brother would groom him from head to tail and back again, then curl up close to him as if protecting him.

In the early hours of the morning Harley's co-ordination had completely gone. I suspect he'd had a stroke. Ian (my son) and I decided that we would ring the vet Monday morning and arrange for him to be put to sleep. Harley had other ideas.

At about 7.45pm Ian gave the cats their evening meal. Harley ate his meal then within 10 minutes he passed away, very quietly, very peacefully. It was as if he'd told the Reaper "You can wait. I'm having my meal first". Harley was quite a character and we are really going to miss him. We're worried about his brother who, although apart from having gone blind with age, is otherwise quite healthy but they were bonded brothers and had never been apart except when we had to take Harley to the vet earlier this year.

Unfortunately, I don't have a recent pic of Harley. I lost a lot of my pics when my hard drive crashed so here is a pic of Harley as a kitten. We are going to miss him but he lives on in our hearts and memories. Harley is looking straight at the camera.

100_0090.jpg

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Harley. 😔

It's evident from your heartfelt words that he was a treasured member of your family and brought so much joy into your lives during his 18 years. It's heartwarming to know that he passed peacefully, surrounded by love and care. Harley's unique personality and the special bond he shared with his brother Benji will always be cherished memories.

Losing a beloved pet is never easy, but their love and presence remain in our hearts forever. Thank you for sharing Harley's story and the adorable kitten picture. 🌈🐾❤

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, sweet boy. My heart goes out to you and your family. He definitely went on his own terms, didn't he. I'm so very sorry, it's hard losing such a beloved member of the family. I hope your boy Benji will be okay.

Rest in peace, sweet Harley. :rbheart:

hspot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All cats should leave us in this manner. It's natural, and leaves less feeling of guilt(for me at least). I know circumstances dictate otherwise, but to have them leave us on their own terms, without having to 'send' them on their way, imo is the best way for them to go. Take solace in that please.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like quite a character! He died peacefully, at home, on his own terms. I wish we could all be so lucky......he leaves behind his grieving family but gave 18 years of love and memories for them to hold and cherish. Please don't cry because he is gone, smile because he happened.......
Cats make us earn their love, and once you do it is one of this world's greatest treasures. It is something they do not give lightly. The bond of love between your two souls is permanent. It cannot be taken from you because it is spiritual, so eternal. He lives on through you now. His love will reside in yoru heart and grow with every new love you add to reside beside it. Please go forward into the future and live it as you would ahev wanted for him to go on if you were the first to go. He would want no less. Take care of that brother left behind, he will miss his brother terribly. Please give him a kiss from me.......RIP precious Harley. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

hspot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He sounds like quite a character! He died peacefully, at home, on his own terms. I wish we could all be so lucky......he leaves behind his grieving family but gave 18 years of love and memories for them to hold and cherish. Please don't cry because he is gone, smile because he happened.......
I like this, it helps me a lot too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, HarIey, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a IoveIy, Iong Iife HarIey had with you...but where there is Iove, an eternity is not Iong enough. This is cIear in every word you wrote, HarIey Iived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your Iove. As he sIept, he took is first step through that Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure with your Iove beside him to guide his way. And now, from his new home in That Piace Where AII Things Are Known, he bIesses you, and he sends his own Iove, transIated and purified into Love, back to waIk with you down through aII of your days. Because Love abides. AIways, forever, Love abides.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful ones. What a nice, good, long life - and that picture of the two of them is so very precious.

I'm so very sorry for your loss though. There is never enough time with them.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX