"Sacrifices" and concessions you've made...(fun thread)

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to know what type of "sacrifices" or concessions you've made SOLEY because of your cat(s), that you think only other cat people would understand. And I put "sacrifices" in quotations because I'm sure most of us feel it's worth it, no matter what.

I'll start with this one..

It seems like I always have at least one "plastic chewing cat", therefore I can only ever buy the more expensive waterproof fabric shower curtains, unless I want lovely little teeth marks and holes in it. Not to mention the possible choking hazard if a piece gets chewed off.
I've had to let all three of my babies sleep with me as Boots will cry and wallow in sadness all night if I don't let him in my room, on my bed, right next to my head. Then the other 2 will get overly jealous if I only allow Boots. So I deal with little spats during the night between the 3 fighting for space near the head of the bed. Wakes me up sometimes, but it's a sacrifice and I love a warm cat by my head.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Travel to anyplace that takes a day or more to get to. Be it by plane or driving (I have other issues with driving too). I have friends who don't understand. To leave my boy and expect someone else to care for him at same level I do is unthinkable. He cannot be neglected for even 1 day. I have not traveled long distance in so long I cannot remember when it was! But, I feel nothing has been lost & much has been gained. I adopted him and all the work that goes along with keeping him healthy and beautiful. Even some cat owners do not understand.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not traveled long distance in so long I cannot remember when it was! But, I feel nothing has been lost & much has been gained.
Yeah, I found i don't really miss traveling. I sometimes miss the ease of which I can up and visit family, but I wouldn't trade my furrbabies for that.

It's like my mother always says, she's not going to not have an animal just so once or twice every few years she can visit someone. :flail:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kittens love the bath tub too :crackup:they also haul toys in there! I didn’t put them in the bathroom for any reason, they just like the tub🤷🏻‍♀️😆
If I go into the bathroom, Theo follows me in and jumps into the tub. He expects me to turn on the water at a fast drip so he can play with it. I started this and now he makes sure I keep it up!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't given up sleep or vacations. I don't really do weekend trips anymore but when it's time for vacation they get boarded at a cat-only hotel.

Thought of more things:
-Having a clean place. My boy just shoots out of the litter robot with a trail of litter getting everywhere. And with 3 cats fur gets on everything of course. Before cats I really didn't need to clean my apartment too often.
-Enjoying work travel. Before cats I would just enjoy wherever I went if work required me to travel for a few days. Now I'm just anxious to get back home. My bf is good at watching them but my 2 boys are momma's boys and I know they miss me. And I just worry if my bf is doing everything he needs to.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
And I just worry if my bf is doing everything he needs to.
When I traveled for work (which was often), I left detailed written instructions for my husband to follow: when, what and how much to feed; how often to clean litter boxes, what to do with waste, and when to add litter; who got what meds, how, and when; where to look for toys that went missing etc. It was not unusual for the instructions to run two, densely worded pages. And I included boxes to check for when things were done. :lol:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I traveled for work (which was often), I left detailed written instructions for my husband to follow: when, what and how much to feed; how often to clean litter boxes, what to do with waste, and when to add litter; who got what meds, how, and when; where to look for toys that went missing etc. It was not unusual for the instructions to run two, densely worded pages. And I included boxes to check for when things were done. :lol:
I leave one full page of feeding instructions. It even has a diagram showing how to split a can between 2 cats lol. It's not half and half. We also feed raw. For the other things I tell him before I leave and I text him daily. Very annoying I'm sure but I can't help it.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been "sleeping" on the floor in the office for the past 5 nights, (since she got home from surgery to remove foreign bodies from her stomach and intestines), so that I can monitor her as well as make sure she is keeping her e-collar on. I haven't gotten more than 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep in that time. I will likely be sleeping in here until it's time for her collar to come off next week sometime.

It's totally been worth it, as I have been able to care for her, encourage her to eat and drink and monitor her bathroom habits and activity to make sure she is recovering well and not getting too active that she tears her internal or external sutures.
We all need stories like this to know we are among "our tribe" who do what we would do and its normal. Thanks