Rx Clay…any positives?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this product my vet is recommending?
IMG_6352.jpeg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it edable clay? Not exactly sure if its actualy clay or just called that but actual clay can be pretty nasty stuff if you eat it i mean sure kids eat play doh but clay could clump up. I really dont know honestly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Is it edable clay? Not exactly sure if its actualy clay or just called that but actual clay can be pretty nasty stuff if you eat it i mean sure kids eat play doh but clay could clump up. I really dont know honestly.
No actually it’s a powder you mix into the food. I went ahead and ordered it, as the metronidazole does not seem to be working. Sposed to firm up stool & relieve bloating. This plus probiotics am hoping will give Zorro a reprieve from pudding poo.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, yes....I have the exact same jar in my kitchen "cat" cabinet. It was recommended/prescribed by my cat vet, but I found that it was completely unappealing to the cat in question. Depending on your cat's willingness to eat food with additives and your own skill in disguising this, it could work. I don't want to discourage you.

It is an extremely finely ground up clay which looks like the cosmetic clay that you mix with water and put on your face to shrink pores. As I recall, it was pretty easily mixed and dissolved but you may have to start out with a very small amount.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes....I have the exact same jar in my kitchen "cat" cabinet. It was recommended/prescribed by my cat vet, but I found that it was completely unappealing to the cat in question. Depending on your cat's willingness to eat food with additives and your own skill in disguising this, it could work. I don't want to discourage you.

It is an extremely finely ground up clay which looks like the cosmetic clay that you mix with water and put on your face to shrink pores. As I recall, it was pretty easily mixed and dissolved but you may have to start out with a very small amount.
Do you know if it has any type of taste to it? I saw this about a week ago looking up things for stomach problems.. I have been looking into getting this and am going to talk to my vet tomorrow. But I also know my girl will not touch anything if it has a strong taste to it.

Margot Lane Margot Lane I hope it works well for your kitty!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats probably because it is sand to a degree. Actual clay comes from the earth and is like rocks stuck togeather, stick it in a kiln at over 2000°c and you get ceramic.

I'm not sure what the benifit of eating it would be though and my cats are too smart to acept any kind of additive in their food so i have to get medicines in a pill or liquid i can put directly in the mouth.

They act like i just offered them a spiked drink.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no taste or smell to it. There is a graininess to the texture though, almost like fine sand when it is in the mouth.
Ok thank you. Yea I have been looking up different products and this is one that is on my list.

Margot Lane Margot Lane I did see that is has descent results. Hopefully it works for your kitty. What was the reason your vet recommended it? Diarrhea or other tummy issues? Either way I hope your kitty can find some relief with this. 💜💜😺

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. Yea I have been looking up different products and this is one that is on my list.

Margot Lane Margot Lane I did see that is has descent results. Hopefully it works for your kitty. What was the reason your vet recommended it? Diarrhea or other tummy issues? Either way I hope your kitty can find some relief with this. 💜💜😺
Runny poop. Praise be, since I demanded we stop the metronidazole, we’ve had a break, but I’ll let you know how the clay goes. I got to thinking, well, it makes sense, when you consider ferals and big cats like lions. They must eat a LOT of dirt that gets on their prey, and I’d bet some of that is actually good for you. There are some cases of humans eating clay, in an effort to get nutrients. And many animals seek salt licks, from butterflies to deer. I’d be willing to bet in a decade from now, there’ll be a lot more focus on gut health rather than steroids.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Runny poop. Praise be, since I demanded we stop the metronidazole, we’ve had a break, but I’ll let you know how the clay goes. I got to thinking, well, it makes sense, when you consider ferals and big cats like lions. They must eat a LOT of dirt that gets on their prey, and I’d bet some of that is actually good for you. There are some cases of humans eating clay, in an effort to get nutrients. And many animals seek salt licks, from butterflies to deer. I’d be willing to bet in a decade from now, there’ll be a lot more focus on gut health rather than steroids.
Honestly we are too far behind in gut health than we should be.. that's my personal opinion of course..
My girl has been having issues with a bloated belly due to gas and she also has loose stool.. although last night it was normal and today it was normal.
Her runny stool I think might have had something to do with the antibiotic she was on, but honestly I don't know she has been off of it for about a week now and her bm is just now gettingback to normal.. idk all I know is tomorrow we are I'm requesting an ultrasound (last time we did xray) I'm taking another fecal sample just incase something might have been missed I want them to check it again.. bloodwork and urinalysis.. I literally want it all done I want her better.. I feel like a crazy person requesting it all but I just want her to get better..

Anyway sorry for rambling..

I really hope the rx clay helps. And you're right it does make sense when you really think about it..