Russian Blue with golden eyes

stephfranz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I have a four month old Russian blue kitten who in every other way seems to be a textbook Russian besides his eye colour which is a golden brown, although a green ring seems to be forming around the pupil. Should I still be expecting green eyes?. After a google search it says that usually the eyes go from blue to green.

Any contribution would be great, thanks :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he papered and from a breeder?

I suppose the occasional pet quality, wrong eye coloured kitten will pop up in a litter. In other breeds green can take 2 years to develop, Russians seem to get their green earlier though with litters I've seen green by 12 weeks. 

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a yellow eyed pet quality RUS. As they only breed green x green, it seems very odd that yellow would come out of it, but then again I don't have experience of Russians (but of green eyes I do). Proper green eyes can definitely be seen by the age of 12 weeks, the dirty yellowing usually starts earlier and is a giveaway that the eyes will not develop to be green.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephfranz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He did not come with papers but his fathers eyes were green his mothers looked quite bright, almost yellow. The green rings around his eyes started around twelve weeks and seem to be expanding.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He did not come with papers but his fathers eyes were green his mothers looked quite bright, almost yellow. The green rings around his eyes started around twelve weeks and seem to be expanding.
Then, technically, he isn't a Russian Blue. He's a domestic shorthair if he doesn't have papers, even if he resembled another breed to a T.

What makes you say that his parents were Russian Blues? Just wondering.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
 I saw him on the kitten thread.. Viktor?  I thought there he had a Russian look to him. If the dad had green eyes, then he's probably the Russian bit. 

Their eyes may be green very early or turn green over time. But your boy's may not.  As speakhandsforme says, he's technically a domestic as he didn't come from a registered Russian breeder.

If you look on page 2 of the kitten thread you'll see a picture of my little boy as a kitten.. He's a purebred.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a yellow eyed pet quality RUS. As they only breed green x green, it seems very odd that yellow would come out of it, but then again I don't have experience of Russians (but of green eyes I do). Proper green eyes can definitely be seen by the age of 12 weeks, the dirty yellowing usually starts earlier and is a giveaway that the eyes will not develop to be green.
Orientals should have green eyes (except for foreign whites and the pointed bicolours!) and so one is breeding green to green, but the odd yellow-eyed pet quality kitten turns up.  I have one here complete with registration and pedigree.  His dad is an Imperial Grand Champion!  His sister has pale green eyes, his half-sister is only 6 1/2 months but has quite bright green eyes.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orientals should have green eyes (except for foreign whites and the pointed bicolours!) and so one is breeding green to green, but the odd yellow-eyed pet quality kitten turns up.  I have one here complete with registration and pedigree.  His dad is an Imperial Grand Champion!  His sister has pale green eyes, his half-sister is only 6 1/2 months but has quite bright green eyes.
I know Orientals haven't been bred exclusively for green eyes, or for as long (for green eyes) as RUS, and they often lack the intensity of the color which RUS have, here they often tend to have slightly yellower shade of green than RUS, so I can see them having yellow eyed kittens.

(And Kuura, the kitty in my avatar pic, lacks only one certificate from a show abroad to become an International Champion, yet his eyes are a bit too pale green, but don't tell him
).