Russian Blue Or Dsh?

lindseyp11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ah yes, another one of us asking if our cat is an RB.
what i know about my cat Taurus:

he is 6/7 months old, male, i just got him neutered recently.

his whole litter looked just like him , one female had one small white spot but the rest were the same solid blue grey with silvery tips. i have NEVER seen cats in person that look like these do.

he has piercing green eyes, the velvety double coat, the smile that I have never seen before, and his whiskers seem to curl or curve, he has rings on his tail

I tell everyone he acts like a dog because of how loyal he is to me. he waits on the couch until i get home from work at 3am then darts to my bed as soon as i get my door open. he sleeps with me every single night by my head. he gets along rather well with my other 4 cats, dog, and rats.

its all adding up but i need more /expert/ opinions!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hah, well I definitely am no expert but he certainly has the looks. I would say the eyes, in the picture, aren't quite emerald enough. Without breeding papers he will always be a DSH, but if he were my cat I would probably refer to him as a Russian Blue because his look calls for it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Taurus is a handsome kitty! He definitely has that RB look to him! He has a medium wedge shaped head, lean body, and silvery blue fur. Eye color is close, but we wouldn’t expect perfect emerald green eyes even in pet quality Russian Blues. Without having papers, he would technically be a blue Domestic Shorthair. Blue cats of indeterminate breed can also be called Maltese cats.

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very handsome kitten. Agree with the above - my Niki is of the European type (being in Australia) she had 'ghost stripes' on her tail that are fading as she grows up (12 months and 2weeks now). Other points to look for are mauve paw pads and the flat nose profile (pictures of Niki's below - you can see the rings on her tail in the last photo which is a couple of months ago now)
View media item 419297View media item 420486View media item 419477

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Tommy is a mix, but I've loved him all the same. His personality is really outgoing and his favorite person in the house that wasn't human was his sister that happened to be a dog. He's got the mauve pads and the body and the vocalizations, but his eyes have a very light gold rimming instead of 100% striking green. Best $25 at the shelter I've ever told someone to pay me back for. I said "hey so I found my birthday present from you".
He had the tabby stripes very faint when I adopted him, too.
This is Tommy Gargoyle:

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know Tommy is a mix, but I've loved him all the same. His personality is really outgoing and his favorite person in the house that wasn't human was his sister that happened to be a dog. He's got the mauve pads and the body and the vocalizations, but his eyes have a very light gold rimming instead of 100% striking green. Best $25 at the shelter I've ever told someone to pay me back for. I said "hey so I found my birthday present from you".
He had the tabby stripes very faint when I adopted him, too.
This is Tommy Gargoyle:
What a gorgeous boy he is