Russian Blue maybe?

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little info on our kitty:  We adopted him about a month ago. He's 3 years old, neutered and declawed in the front (The past owners declawed him). They said they found him in a dumpster and took him in. What's everyone's thoughts?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, he is a very handsome boy for sure, and as anyone who sees my boy for the first time tends to say - he is very gray! 
   Sorry to hear that he was declawed before he was found and adopted by you.  If he has a Russian Blue temperament he will be a gentle soul and a cuddle bug anyway.   I am bound to say he has a very pretty face because around his cheeks he looks very like my Mouse!  It is impossible to say if he is Russian Blue without the papers to say what his parentage is / genetic line, but he does look very similar.  In the photograph here his head looks as if it is a little rounded and his ears are not large but that may be me looking more at the GCCF type and not TICA standards.  Also not sure on his eye colour in this photograph, are they yellowish or blue / olive green?  RB eyes must be green which ever county's standards are being followed.  The fur on his back is nicely ruffled here:  can you stroke or brush his fur both ways and draw lines in it without it showing skin or wanting to settle down?  Your boy's fur looks quite thick but I am not sure about luster.  Good RB fur is short, of one length, and sticks up like velvet.  Can be stroked both ways feeling soft and offering minimal resistance. There are few things softer and more lustrous than their fur. 

What is your boy's name?  I would love to know more about him, and if you have any more pictures, esp if they show his mouth and whisker pads more side on, and more of his fur:-D

My boy Mouse is RB and there are plenty photos on his cat page if you want to look at him.  He will be 3 in February so around the same age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Thanks for replying! His fur does exactly what a RB's fur should do. However, his eyes are yellow with green near the pupils. I'm thinking maybe his dad mated with a ally cat and she had her babies near a dumpster. He loves to be petted! His pads on the bottom of his feet are black, his nose is black, and his mouth (or lips) are black. He has a very pointy head. I'll upload another picture of him real quick.

His fur is super thick and its difficult to get his skin to show. It is all one length and very velvety.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   He's certainly got that 'OK lowly human, feed me my salmon now' kind of look!   
He really is lovely.

His ears look a bit bigger in the second lot of photos.  Who knows who the mum and dad were but they produced a lovely looking cat with a cuddly nature.  I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of him.  You are almost as lucky as he is that you found each other; who would be so mean and stupid as to leave a beautiful animal like that near a dumpster, declawed and left helpless. 
    Enjoy giving him a furever home.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I am guessing if the poor guy was declawed , you might be in North America ( since it is either illegal or virtually never done in most of the other places . and he doesn't really look like  the Russian Blue standard there, either. 

But its very hard to say from one photo , he's got some things in common with them and I guess it's not impossible he could be a pet quality RB not bred to the standard, including the eye color. . 

He is certainly a beautiful and very elegant looking cat,  and looks like a very nice cat.

If they found him in  a dumpster as a kitten that would make it extremely unlikely for him to be a real Russian Blue kitten, considering that RB kittens sell for around  $600-900, and even someone horrible enough to dump a kitten  would very likely rather sell the kitten than dump it.

There seem to be a lot of blue cats that do resemble RBs  but that doesn't mean they  have a Russian Blue parent, grandparent etc.   The pedigreed RBs are really quite rare and most are neutered as kittens and not running around unaltered mating and making RB mixes.   For example, in the U.S., RBs are a lot less common than hairless Sphynx cats --  and how many of those do you see running around?    

What I would say is ,  he is at least similar to some of the cats that went into creating that breed.   They weren't all from Russia;  the Russian cats were combined with other random-bred blue cats from the UK and Scandinavia .  and even a few Siamese were used in wartime when the RB breeding cats in the UK were at a low number and they needed to outcross to avoid too much inbreeding.

I too would enjoy seeing more pics of this handsome cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, he's a lovely boy. The fur on his chest and legs looks a nice thick, fine texture though not high sheen. Continue to enjoy him, he looks precious. He is very pretty.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good lord, his eyes look like a Korat, but that makes even less sense.   you're not going to find those in a dumpster.  Anyway they are single coated.  This guy looks like he's double coated. 

He is just stunning!  WOW .