Runt of the litter not putting on much weight

Lizziescracex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat had her babies on Monday. They are beautiful and all seem content and healthy, the biggest is now 177 grams but the smallest is only 86 grams.
the smallest has out on around 4 grams a day. Is feeding when the others are and is sleeping with the others too, no crying, unless the others start, then she joins in.
should I be worried about the little weight gain/try and bottle feed? Or should I leave mum to look after her?
little one is very quick, she scurries over to mum and latches on straight away,other than her weight she seems perfect; just a bit concerned as she's gaining so little.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
86 grams is very small for 6 days old. The kitten is at least gaining, but if you could supplement the kitten 2-4 times a day with formula it will surely help the kitten to grow. She needs to get over 100 grams soon.

Here’s a helpful video:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lizziescracex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just weighed now and she's now at 91g, she's not losing at all and as I say; she's healthy and strong but she's just super tiny!

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just weighed now and she's now at 91g, she's not losing at all and as I say; she's healthy and strong but she's just super tiny!
My litter all weighed over 100 on the first day, if you are not supplementing her by now then please get on that because that doesn't sound like a healthy kitten to me. Hope she starts gaining soon. Good luck! :hearthrob::hearthrob:

Lizziescracex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, my cat is tiny, she's a really small girl, she was due to be spayed and managed to get out and get pregnant a few weeks before her appointment🤦‍♀️ she is a really little cat and had a litter of 5 which vet said was a lot and apparently relatively normal, the rest were born around the 80g mark, she was only 62g on day 3, so she's gaining, slowly but surely so I'm trying to remain hopeful🥺

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, my cat is tiny, she's a really small girl, she was due to be spayed and managed to get out and get pregnant a few weeks before her appointment🤦‍♀️ she is a really little cat and had a litter of 5 which vet said was a lot and apparently relatively normal, the rest were born around the 80g mark, she was only 62g on day 3, so she's gaining, slowly but surely so I'm trying to remain hopeful🥺
62g that is so small! My Salem also had 5. I am assuming you have been supplementing her and if so what do you use? I was recommended the syringe miracle nipple and powdered Petag kmr though I haven't had to use it yet. I think I remember reading that syringes are good for newborns and you bottle feed when they get a bit older.

Lizziescracex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, so on day one my cat actually abandoned the runt (I had run out to take dog to vets and when I got home the little one was left at the other side of the room) I took her back to mum and went straight out and bought kitten formula etc, got home and she was snuggled in with mum but not feeding, 2 days of feeding every 2 hours day and night and leaving with mum in between, by day 3 she was latching on and mum was looking after her properly, I'm still syringe feeding but trying to allow her to latch and feed from mum as much as I can. She's latched on almost every time I check on her at the moment..

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, so on day one my cat actually abandoned the runt (I had run out to take dog to vets and when I got home the little one was left at the other side of the room) I took her back to mum and went straight out and bought kitten formula etc, got home and she was snuggled in with mum but not feeding, 2 days of feeding every 2 hours day and night and leaving with mum in between, by day 3 she was latching on and mum was looking after her properly, I'm still syringe feeding but trying to allow her to latch and feed from mum as much as I can. She's latched on almost every time I check on her at the moment..
Sounds like your doing the best you can for this little fellow. I hope she pulls through! :hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob: