Runny poo

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(not sure if this should be here or in Nutrition section)

Whisper, my Siamese, has runny, stinky poo even on Taste of the Wild. I tried pumpkin, but it didn't seem to work. Any other suggestions? He was dewormed and had a negative fecal test on February 12.

(he is 5 months old and weighed 6.2 pounds on Feb. 12)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, it was more brown that that. I had been wondering which kitty it was coming from and I happened to be standing in the bathroom when he decided to go potty. I got a first hand look....not pleasant.

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may want to bring in another fecal sample in to the clinic to check for Coccidiosis (coccidia) which is an intestinal parasite. It may have been that the eggs were not shedding at the time the fecal was done. Coccidia is not eliminated by normal dewormers. He would need to be treated with Albon or Ponazuril, sometimes the vet may even use SMZ.

Also, if he was dewormed recently, that could be the cause of the diarrhea.

Good luck!

Okie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO this can be a number of things, from parasites to food intolerance, to IBD... Is this something that started at some point, or he was always like that? Has this kitten ever been given a course of metronidazole?

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

IMO this can be a number of things, from parasites to food intolerance, to IBD... Is this something that started at some point, or he was always like that? Has this kitten ever been given a course of metronidazole?
He got pretty sick when he was younger while with his foster mom. They did the following for him then (in December): Fecal test, CBC w/ differential, Vitamin B12 inj, Ponazuril, Cestex, and an abdominal ultrasound. He was on Doxycycline when I brought him home.

As far as I can see he has not had Metronidazole.

Originally Posted by Okie89

This may be a gross question, but is it kind of.. pastey?
It almost looked like soft serve ice cream as it was coming out. Very mushy.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this, but it may be the TOTW. One of my cats is having intermittent watery poo... and I am trying to figure it out. Thing is... he was puking on the "sensitive stomach" Authority I WAS using.... he's not puking anymore, but I am seeing other problems.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I hate to say this, but it may be the TOTW. One of my cats is having intermittent watery poo... and I am trying to figure it out. Thing is... he was puking on the "sensitive stomach" Authority I WAS using.... he's not puking anymore, but I am seeing other problems.
Whisper does the occasional vomiting as well. I think it's b/c he eats too fast. If he vomits it will be right after he eats. I feed them small meals four times a day to reduce it.

If he continues with the poo issues I guess I will have to find yet another food. Maybe a "sensitive tummy" brand??

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

He got pretty sick when he was younger while with his foster mom. They did the following for him then (in December): Fecal test, CBC w/ differential, Vitamin B12 inj, Ponazuril, Cestex, and an abdominal ultrasound. He was on Doxycycline when I brought him home.

As far as I can see he has not had Metronidazole.
Vitamin B12 is an stimulate for both activity and appetite, Ponazuril is a treatment for coccidia, Cestex is for tapeworms, and doxycycline is an antibiotic that has many uses. Just for your info.

My Annie has a sensitive stomach and chronic intermittant vomitting. She was put on Prozyme and a sensitive diet, and it works GREAT! The vomitting is at a minimal (it's still there because she has a vestibular disease and she gets motion sickness from just existing), and her stool has firmed. Might want to consider discussing this with your vet.

Okie