Running Out Of Ideas With Newly Adopted Cat

Electrapower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i wonder if anyone can help. Last October I adopted a cat from the rspca. She is a three year old half Persian. I knew she was very fearful and unlikely ever to be a lap cat. But 3 months on, I have not even been able to stroke her. She runs off instantly and hides most of the time. If I come within a few paces of her, she rushes off, even if I am just walking past. I tried a couple of times when I first got her to catch her so I could groom her very long and soft fur. But she is very quick and the one time I did trap her she was hugely distressed and wriggled out of my grip. Since then I have left her to venture towards me. Every evening I tempt her closer by putting a few treats on my knee and she will come and grab them and then rush off with them. But I have not been able to progress things further. I tried Felaway for her first month but it made no discernible difference.
I have run out of ideas. Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Electrapower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for adopting her! It usually takes cats some time to adjust to a new environment, so it will just take some patience. I’ll attach some articles you might find helpful:
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
I hope this helps!
Thank you. It did help. I read them all, gulped them down. Funnily enough I saw a cat centre thing in the supermarket today. With a raised box, scratch post etc and balked at buying it because it was £60 and I have no idea whether Electra will use it. But it sounds like a good idea. What do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we have one scratching board that lies flat on the floor that the Big Guy loves. Thought we'd get an upright one so he could really get in a good stretch, and it's been two weeks, with catnip rubbed on it and no go :) It can be impossible sometimes to know what they'll like or not. Bless your heart for wanting to give her whatever it takes to help her!